Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

A Group web site

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Ped_*

Guest_Ped_*
The main ".com" side of things on this site is mainly down to me :tazz: but there is input from various people at all sorts of levels. This site is constantly being worked on (and there is a pile of old files needing cleared out) We do our own hosting (with c-panel and fantistico) but making no attempt at mass marketing, preferring our little family of beginners. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

http://playingwithpsp.com/

Ped

Advertisements

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
I am editing this post now that I know your not trying to become a main reference site. The green is untouched text and the orange is new text:

NOt sure if your asking for advice on the site's structure but here is some:

(1)colors arent easy on the eye ;) if your going for a professional look or just want people to think you know your paint shop stuff make the home page look more like your forum page.

(2) 60% of your main nav button links open in a new window (not good). Of course, what I meant by this was NOT to have it open in the same page and thats it. What i meant by this is that if its a main link the page it goes to should at least resemble the home page, like have the same title or something, therefore causing it to be fine to not open in a new window, and it would still be your site. What I'm trying to say is: You never make the MAIN nav links on a site go to a different site, and if you NEED one to always make it the last link in the row/column.

(3) only 1 page looks like the home page (again, the main nav button pages). This causes viewers to feel cluttered and making them look alike will cause you to just have that "together" look so ppl know you know ur stuff :help:

(4) your gallery page doesn't work

(5) your screenshots need to be better res. Try making them lower size but with a good amount of quallity.

(6) a number of links dont work

(7) what does weather have to do with your site? (intellicast) Heres the trying to be like a main reference site thing, now that I know you are just a group of people helping eachother out I guess weather isn't as terrible..

(8) Haha, aight, I was being a little rough on you here cause lets just say you definitely needed it to become one of those great reference sites. Again, now that I understand what your site is more, I have to say some stuff is cool for a group, and considering your taste your "group" is prob the same way..

(9) get rid of the kids corner. Main reference thing again

(10) make your own search instead of having a google one (or in addition to the google one)

Well, just giving you some tips, sorry if I offend you in any way. Let me know if you need help or advice with anything, good luck with the site :tazz:

Edited by ssone, 07 June 2005 - 05:16 AM.

Guest_Ped_*

Guest_Ped_*
I just wanted some general opinions really maybe a pointer or two to work on but will go through your points SSONE.

1) Colours are easy enough on my eyes though I would agree there should be some "graphics" stuff there. I never did want a "professional look" the thought is actually quite scary as they all seem to want to conform to some sort of rule book that only other "professionals" seem to enjoy, I think I will stay with amateur look. Just went with a plain colour for now till my wee humble brain kicks into gear (which would be in a couple of weeks time when wee brain comes out for its annual airing.)

2) Good point about the new windows, though opening another site in the same window and "whoosh" no visitors any more but, think I will give the same window stuff a try.

3) Again. Don't wanna be a wanna be professional.

4) The Gallery button not working! Aye, that became apparent last night sometime, will try and find out whats happened tonight or tomorrow when time permits.

5) Screen shots. Agreed, they were rushed (so much to do so little time)

6) Links (mental note, must fix those links) I know about those the site does need a good clean out (said that above I think)

7) The Weather! If you lived in my corner of the world, you would want to know what the weather is like before venturing out. I will keep that.

8) Will happily ignore this comment as it smacks of a wee bit of negative attitude (& I am being kind there)

9) Kids Corner stays! My Son who happens to be a kid says so, so your out voted there.

10) Site Search! Good point, totally agree.

So, to summarise. Fix the links (important) Open windows in same window (will give that a go). Look out of window to see if it is raining tomorrow (not overly keen on that one). Fix Gallery. (once I find out where it went to) & Change eyes (a wee bit extreme). If ever posting again "must ask for constructive comments". All noted and thanks for your time.

Have a nice day!

Ped

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
as i said, sorry if it offended you.

I thought u were trying to become one of those places where everyone goes for help with PSP, like a reference site, as PHP is to http://www.php.net/, skins are to wincustomize, etc. But ur just a group of "friends?"..so sorry, thought u were goin for moree..(hence the weather thing)..

I misread ur post and thought you were asking for things that could be fixed, I could think of many things great about the site, like how the title wiggles when you go over a button haha..

If ur just a group of ppl helping eachother out the colors are fine if there ok with you! Just if u want to get the advanced ppl to stay that was my advice :help:

good luck, dont know if i scared u away but if u need help with anything let me know :tazz:

---read my revisions to my last reply before this one---

;)

Edited by ssone, 07 June 2005 - 05:19 AM.