Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dead HDD?

• Please log in to reply

Tamie-Lee

Tamie-Lee

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm hoping someone can help me here, I've read through a lot of posts from other members about failing HDDs but couldn't find any with the same symptoms.
So this is what's going on (I'm sorry I can't provide error messages). My PC started slowing down about a month ago, start up especially started to gradually get slower and slower. I thought it might be a virus or malware, but after multiple checks (I use Panda Cloud Anti-Virus and Malware Bytes Anti-Malware) I couldn't find anything. My PC continued to get slower and slower, the HDD light is on constantly and a couple of days ago the HDD started making a continuous rattling sound. The rattling started at the same time as my PC's loading time (The time it takes to startup) slowed right down from about 2 minutes to nearly 15 minutes. And everything else slowed down a lot to, my PC always ran fast and smoothly and then it started taking 5+ minutes just to launch the internet.
I bought a new HDD today which was meant to become a secondary drive for my PC, I installed it and started up my PC. But now my PC won't start at all. It starts loading Windows, gets to the Welcome screen and then goes to a black screen (There are no error messages, just a blank screen) for a couple of minutes before looping back to the Windows loading screen. It just repeats this cycle. This is accompanied by a lot of noise from my HDD, it doesn't just rattle anymore, it makes clunking noises as well now to.
So I'd like to find out whether my HDD has failed, or whether something else is wrong.
My PC has never displayed an error message since the problems started, so I can't list any.

My PC's specs are as follows:
Acer Compac dx2810 MT
Intel Core2 Duo Processor
250w Liteon PSU
4GB DDR2 RAM
1GB NVidia Galaxy GPU
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Primary)
Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA HDD (New secondary, only installed today)
Running Windows 7 Pro

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by Tamie-Lee, 05 November 2012 - 11:05 PM.

Advertisements

Tamie-Lee

Tamie-Lee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Update: I ran SeaTools for Windows diagnostic program on both HDDs. It passed my primary drive as having no problems but failed the secondary drive (The new one), I then made 2 disks with SeaTools for DOS (One CD & one DVD) and tried to boot the PC from one of them but my PC wont boot from either of them, I just get the message: A disk read error occurred. I don't know what to do now, I don't know much about computers and I live out in the country where there is nobody I could get to help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Tamie-Lee

Is the computer at the attached link the same model as yours http://www.techbuy.c...p/136160/SYST..

From your OP;
4GB DDR2 RAM - Is this 2X2GB sticks or 4X1GB sticks.
1GB NVidia Galaxy GPU - What model is the graphics card, GT 210, 9500GT as examples.