Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically

• Please log in to reply

NeedsHelp12

NeedsHelp12

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi. This is my first post so I hope it is in the right place.

I shut down my computer earlier in anticipation of the maintenance at my complex turning off a power breaker. The shut down did not complete before the power went off but my UPS kicked in and windows finished shutting down. (the monitor blue light stayed on so I know the UPS didn't run out of battery). When the power was back on I tried to turn the computer on and it seemed to freeze at the "Starting Windows" logo screen. after about 20 minutes I did a hard reset and then got the message to run start up repair. It said it was successful but I got the same error. I seem to be in an unending loop of you system needs to run start up repair message and then after running through everything I get "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically" When I try to skip startup repair I get the same frozen "starting Windows" screen. I have tried going to the command prompt and using "bootrec /fixmbr" followed by "bootrec /fixboot" as well as the method posted here:

http://www.sevenforu...p-recovery.html

None of the above methods have worked. I'm hoping not to have to re-install windows. Thanks

My system:
Windows 7 Professional
OCZ Revodrive X2 PCI-express SSD

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try these: How to run chkdsk or System File Checker (SFC) from the Recovery Console
  • Boot your Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
  • At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C:) and click Next
  • At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory
  • Run chkdsk or SFC
  • If you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
  • For chkdsk, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (use the letter from above if not C:).
  • For sfc, type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter (use the letter from above)
Let either run to completion undisturbed.

Vista or Windows 7: If you don't have a install DVD, you can download a legal copy here:
Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Digital River
Download Official Windows Vista RTM with SP1 Setup Files (32-bit and 64-bit)

Make sure you get the same version you have installed: 32 or 64 bit; Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate.

NeedsHelp12

NeedsHelp12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for responding. I've run chkdsk per your instructions and at the end I got a message:

"Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50."

Other than that message it completed without any errors or odd messages. I then restarted and attempted to boot the computer and it stalled at the same "Starting Windows" splash screen as before. I then tried SFC and I got the message:

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Still no luck turning on the system.

Any other ideas?

NeedsHelp12

NeedsHelp12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I found an image and I'm going to attempt to restore it to the computer and see if it works.

NeedsHelp12

NeedsHelp12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So the image I found was from a different pc and I was not able to restore the image and now I am back where I started. Any suggestions?