Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TCP/IP Reset Issue...

• Please log in to reply

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Hey guys, long time no visit. I had a house call tonight that I was working on. The situation is this : Client has windows XP SP3... had internet the day before, none today. Well I showed up, confirmed router was working properly and configured. So I ran Winsock fix for XP, well...it runs, then beeps at the end, and says things have been completed and just stalls out. Internet worked once after that, then I restarted and back to nothing. I went and ran the netsh reset command, internet works fine until reboot. Well, when rebooting I got a cute little message about ccsvchst.exe not closing properly...well if anyone knows that message, it's Norton acting up. Norton is not running properly for sure, so I will be uninstalling that tomorrow morning...may or may not fix the problem. Any reasons why resetting the TCP/IP works until reboot like it's reverting back? My only thought is Norton is blocking in going or outgoing connection and when reset it doesn't have control over connection anymore. Figure I will check here before I go out tomorrow and work on it some more.

Advertisements

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Well I got everything fixed today for anyone wondering. I had started the norton uninstall last night and 13 hours later it was still going. There was definitely some corrupt installation files. I ended up using a combination of RevoUninstaller and Norton Removal Tool, sad they have to develop their own software to remove their horrible program. After removing the program and calling the company demanding a refund for my client, I installed Avast, edited his outlook ports so Avast SSL would function properly and all is well.