Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet explorer very slow to open

• Please log in to reply

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
My niece called and asked why ie is extremely slow but other browsers work fine. Now her laptop is doing the same and her husband needs ie for his job. When she opens it up it takes at least 5 minutes. I will be going over there in the next day or so. If you can tell me what to look for or clean up or what you need to know then I will do that when I see her.I know this isn't much information but will post what you need. Thank you.

ginnyjoe

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi ginnyjoe,
sorry to hear about the slow response from IE
There could be any number of things causing this but here are 2 steps you can consider to see if they improve things:

1 Start IE with no addons
2 Reset IE settings
If you need detailed instructions on how to do any of this post back with details of your operating system( Win XP, Vista 7 8 etc) and the version of IE you are running ( 7, 8 9, etc)
Regards
paws

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Just back to thank you for the info. IE is now loading and working quite well. Great site and great answers. Thanks again.

ginnyjoe

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
:thumbsup:
That's good to hear
Well done
Regards
paws

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
For Anyone who might come across this thread here is a few commands that will usually speed up internet explorer.

Open Elevated command prompt vista or win 7 xp just open command pompt copy and paste each command below one at a time hitting enter after each then type exit close all applications and reboot your machine.

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll

regsvr32 Shell32.dll

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll