Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Bios update not working?

• Please log in to reply

howtheflip

howtheflip

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hello all. I had a question about my BIOS update. Today, I got a message about updating my BIOS because I installed a new processor. After looking into this update, I found it on the HP website and downloaded it to a USB device because I was planning on flashing it through this device. I have made sure it is a correct version and won't mess up in any way. The problem is that even though the USB is set to start first, the computer continues to boot straight up. I don't know if I didn't download it correctly so it's not reading any files on my USB? Can someone please help. It's a DC7100 series HP computer btw. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
After reading the instruction from HP I think you need to install the BIOS update from within windows.

Start your computer, once it is ready close all running programs
Double click on the downloaded BIOS update and follow the onscreen instruction.

If after updating your BIOS you get the message CMOS Checksum error go to this link
http://h20000.www2.h...ectID=c01368145

Hope this helps

PS watch this video if you like
http://h20621.www2.h...258c6cf/r/video

howtheflip

howtheflip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Okay, so every time I was trying to download the update before, the file would open a web page on instructions on how to do the flash update. This time, I decided to locate the file on my computer. I wasn't sure which one to open in the downloaded file, so I just took a logical guess because i knew it wasn't going to be DOS, diskette, or usb flashing and actually found it. my machine flashed fine, so thankyou for your time.