Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EXPLORER.EXE KEEPS HANGING

• Please log in to reply

z3255859

z3255859

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi

I have recently bought a new pc. It worked allright for 1 week and then recently I have started getting explorer.exe hangs. This occurs when I am trying to delete a file or rename a file. Mostly when I right click onto a file explorer.exe stops responding and hangs.

here is the event viewer entry :

The program Explorer.EXE version 6.1.7601.17567 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: b54
Start Time: 01cdc456919348a8
Termination Time: 10
Application Path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Report Id: b2323508-304f-11e2-95a6-c860001ea82c

details :

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Hang

- EventID 1002

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 101

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-11-17T00:42:48.000000000Z

EventRecordID 3236

Channel Application

Computer Sukhvir

Security

- EventData

Explorer.EXE
b54
01cdc456919348a8
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
b2323508-304f-11e2-95a6-c860001ea82c
55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 006E0055 006E006B 0077006F 0000006E
0008: 0000

In Bytes

0000: 55 00 6E 00 6B 00 6E 00 U.n.k.n.
0008: 6F 00 77 00 6E 00 00 00 o.w.n...
0010: 00 00 ..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried doing sfc/scannow - it reprted that everything was fine

I have also noticed another reoccuring error in the event viewer :

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

details :

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-WMI
[ Guid] {1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}
[ EventSourceName] WinMgmt

- EventID 10

[ Qualifiers] 49152

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-11-17T00:01:55.000000000Z

EventRecordID 3220

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 0
[ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer Sukhvir

Security

- EventData

//./root/CIMV2
SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99
0x80041003

All your help will be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

blindhelpfultech

blindhelpfultech

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Dear z3255859,

I am a student at Geek U for malware and have found some useful information using the Event ID off of the dump file. This external link provides the technical details however, I am going to try not to be technical trying to explain a fix to your problem. According to what I am reading the WMI filter relates to group policy is this a personal or business system? Most of the time genral users have no reason for group policy to be inacted and if this is your business computer, I would advise you bring it to the IT department as the error is clearly relating to the system admins side. If you are not using a work computer there could be something inpacting the permissionsset on your system and that is when I would post your topic in the malware section for them to look at. Regardless of what you end up doing I would like to know what the end resalt is and I am sure others would like to know as well to learn from it.

Information from Technet (MS)

Good Luck,

Blindhelpfultech
Don't PM me asking for help, reply to your post or post in the open fourm.

Edited by blindhelpfultech, 16 November 2012 - 07:40 PM.

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
thanks for the quick reply

this is my personal pc not a work computer.

I will post the WMI part of the problem to malware section

Any ideas about the explorer.exe part ??

blindhelpfultech

blindhelpfultech

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

thanks for the quick reply

this is my personal pc not a work computer.

I will post the WMI part of the problem to malware section

Any ideas about the explorer.exe part ??

Well, if your system is only a week old I do not quite get why explor.exe is crashing that is the service that shows you your desktop or GUI. I am not seeing how these to problems are any what related to one and other and thats why I advised posting in the malware section. Provide all the information you did in this post. I gues the part I am not understanding is that this system is only a week old is that currect? Was it a new referbished system? If in fact this computer is a week old, the computer comp. has a 1 year warrenty on everything. If they are not sure where to go, I would go to the seller store and get some information like the following:
Was this referbished?
If I had this computer for a week and you offer tech support, will you lookin to the problem at no charge due to the newness of this system?
If they give you a round about reply to any of that then call the maker. If it shows in their records that you do have a warranty, ask them if they still make this system.
If they do,. I would fight with them to get a new system and not just have them repair it. Of course you tell them you want the same system or a better system and you will not setal for a older system after the amount of money you spent on the system. If you have to play the you are going to be losing a custmer card if they stil don't want to help you. Post back here and I will be able to get the coprate information and they wil help and if they don't you have every right to post about the problems you where having with their product and how they did not help you.

As I have learned from marketing two things businesses hate:
A unhappy person, who wants a working product
A bad reption with a person

it all gets down to if they lose money or you tell them that you reccomended this system to a few people and they will quickly do the math in their head and if you don't want to fix it I will advise they choose another computer brand and make sure to state a competter of theirs and I am sure they wil help.

I have helped in retail for 6 years and I have learned to think like the business person not the sales person although I have done both. This here has never failed me, I am speacking as a custtmer and as one who hates losing money.

I have created this over years of understanding computers and what they are really asking me, if you can fight with knollege odds are they will fix your problem. I am working on a write up of this topic and wil give it you as well.

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
thanks.

I have already posted this in malware section : http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry2228786

Yes the system is 1 week old. I assembled and built it myself. I have assembeled over 100 pc's. entire cpu has been changed, I still have my old monitor/printer/speaker.

I have updated to all the latest drivers for all the components.

blindhelpfultech

blindhelpfultech

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

thanks.

I have already posted this in malware section : http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry2228786

Yes the system is 1 week old. I assembled and built it myself. I have assembeled over 100 pc's. entire cpu has been changed, I still have my old monitor/printer/speaker.

I have updated to all the latest drivers for all the components.

Either that is a malware problem or from what I looked up you are able to edit group policy for local users, but I have no idea why someone would mess with the local group policy and maybe it is just he one computer made out of the them that has something wrong it. It seems that you know what your doing so it might be a safe beat that maybe you just had something in reards to the system go wrong. I gues if all else fails you could try reinstalling the OS and see if that fixes the problem. I know a few people that use their system so much to keep things runing the way when first got the computer they reinstal the OS once a year and that can help as well, it is just if u want to spend the time doing so every year.