Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Taking over started topic

• Please log in to reply

blindhelpfultech

blindhelpfultech

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Everyone,
Although it seems it should be common sence not to post a reply to a problem with your problem. There is an option to create a new topic when you have a computer problem. I have noticed in the last thre posts I have read, it has gone something like this. to your problem. It is

poster:
Hi my problem is and what ever it is any help would be nice.

Replys:
Hey everyone,
I have a problem as well.

Although I am not an admin I am however a blind user and so when I read posts it would be nice for them to relate to one an other. If you have a problem even if you think it is related to the other poster, create a new topic.

A good rule of thum if you are not replying to someones post, it would be best to create a new one. I am not saying this due to the fact that I am a blind person, but it is the respectful thing to do in fourms. For those of you who were not aware this kind of thing is refered to as highjacking someones elses thred, Although it is not a written rule, it is the respectful thing to do. Not only will things relate to the posters topic but it is a way of gaining respect from people. You could compair it to taking someones chat text and changing the topic to the point of where everyone is lost.

Hope this peace of advice is helpful to gaining a good rep on the fourms,
Welcome to GeeksToGo
Geek In Traning
Geek U, Freshman
Blindhelpfultech
Don't PM me for help, but post in the best topic on the fourm and sit and wait for a reply as I do not know everything, but what I do know I am willing to share.

Edited by blindhelpfultech, 16 November 2012 - 08:03 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Good post. Unfortunately, the people who need to read this won't.

I think it's human nature to say "ME TOO"!

We do often split off a post like this into it's own thread, but not always.

blindhelpfultech

blindhelpfultech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey Rich,

Although I do not mean to be mean about it, but part of peoples problems are they do not like to learn or read, I am enjoying Geek U o wait I read through anything that is pinned at the top and I look up my information and then ask for help. Part of the problem is people don't know or care to read. I can't help it I enjoy learning but at the same time a lot of things would be fixed if people learned how to reserch or document their problem in whole with all the error message.

Proud to be a Geek U Student, like to learn new things and apply them,
Nadia Aka Blindhelpfultech

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
In the malware removal forums, replies are restricted to certain forum usergroups. This is because of the potential for harm and abuse. While in the operating system, hardware... tech forums we allow and encourage ALL forum members to post replies.

While moderators and admins could split a topic every time someone post a "me too" reply, I don't think that would benefit the original posters, or those replying. In addition, these new participants to a topic add valuable information, or even the solution.

I do understand that using a reader it's easier to follow a one-on-one discussion. Sighted uses have additional visual clues to identify participants, like avatars and signatures. While one-to-one topics would also be easier for them to follow, it's now how the "community" of a forum works the best.