Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flashing pixels on laptop screen

• Please log in to reply

vishakhasakhi

vishakhasakhi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

I just noticed a bunch of flashing pixels on my laptop display. They seem to be almost all over and I see them on anything on the screen that it not white. Could it be my video card?

I have an Acer Aspire 8940G running Windows 7 with an NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M, Intel Core i7 720QM (1.6 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB).

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
:welcome: vishakhasakhi

Common causes of this type of issue are bad drivers, heat and power supply issues.

Please check the Device Manager to see if there is a yellow ! or red X present.
Does the notebook appear to be running hotter than normal, can you hear the cooling fan running and does it sound normal, what is the ambient temperature like where the notebook is used and can you try connecting the notebook up to an external screen via the VGA port to see if the problem is present on that screen also.

vishakhasakhi

vishakhasakhi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
1. Please check the Device Manager to see if there is a yellow ! or red X present.
Checked Device Mgr: no error symbols
2. Does the notebook appear to be running hotter than normal
Yes, it does.
3. can you hear the cooling fan running and does it sound normal
yes, the fan is running, and seems normal.
4. what is the ambient temperature like where the notebook is used
It is a bit warm in here, especially today, maybe 78 deg F or so
5. can you try connecting the notebook up to an external screen via the VGA port to see if the problem is present on that screen also.
Yes, and the image on the other screen is normal.

I wonder if there is an accumulation of dust, dirt, and debris blocking enough air flow to cool the processor, etc. properly. Should I try to open it up and clean it out a bit? I've done this before on my last laptop and it helped with the overheating.

Also, I live in Hawaii and there's not much I can do about the temperature in here, as there is no air conditioning.

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
When you connected the notebook to the external display did you use the notebook as you normally would and the external screen stayed good throughout?

It is important that the notebook is used under exactly the same circumstances while hooked up to the external display as it is normally when your notebook screen goes bad.

Until you confirm the above I cannot say with 100& certainty that it is not the video chip but if the notebook was used under normal circumstances and the external screen stayed good then it would suggest that your video chip is ok and that the issue is either the MB to LCD screen cable is damaged or loose or it is the screen itself.

I always advise of the difficulties of repairing notebooks but you have done it before and so are well aware, so if the video cable needs checking out and the inside of the case cleaned out refer to chapter 3 onwards http://www.scribd.co...pire-6930-6930G please disregard any other product or service offered at the link.

To help with cooling in the future consider using a notebook cooler such as the example @ http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834988075