Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of Duty - VERY slow startup

• Please log in to reply

Chubz

Chubz

• Pip
  • 9 posts
This is probably one of the strangest things I've ever had to deal with, and I've been a PC gamer for years now..

Basically I double-click the Call of Duty icon, and I must wait like 5 minutes for the "Call of Duty" icon to come up on the screen, and then game to boot up a few seconds afterwords. Why this happens? I have no clue.

What makes this even stranger is that I have the United Offense expansion installed as well. Guess what? Same problem.

What is even WORSE, though, is that it isn't because my PC is so slow that it takes forever to start up - I have a pretty good PC:
AMD Athlon 2800+
1 Gig of RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO

And it can't be that the game is just busy loading because the light on my PC isn't even showing that it is busy....

I've tried updating video drivers, reinstalling the game, running the game on different video settings, and even running the game in compatability mode for something new, but none of these have helped.

The game runs just fine, also, and I can even run it at 1280x1024, with all settings maxed out with 100+ FPS almost all the time.

So... has anyone ever had this problem before? I hope somebody here can help me... I hate having to sit there and wait forever just for the game to start after I've double-clicked the icon... what makes me even more confused is that every other game starts up IMMEDIATELY. I'm baffled. :tazz:

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yes i have had that problem before when my internet was going out alot for several weeks. They were in the process of upgrading the speeds, and i had to reset my modem and router serveral times in a day. So if you dont have an internet connection currently present then that is why.

Chubz

Chubz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That's strange... sorry but I forgot to mention that it is Call of Duty Multiplayer that does this. (And United Offensive mutliplayer).

The weird part is that ONLY multiplayer does this; single player starts up immediately.

My internet connection is always on, and so it can't be this problem...

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yes, it did that to me on multiplayer only also.

Edited by jrm20, 06 June 2005 - 09:05 PM.

Warstar

Warstar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Sorry if this is an old topic but I've been looking for ages for an answer and found it.

Essentially, your multiplayer will sometimes be slow to start up through a router.

This is because COD2 is looking on your router for your IP's DNS addresses. It can't find them so then goes onto the modem itself where it finds them.

If, like me, you had your router set to 'automatically find my ISP's DNS addresses,' this takes ages. What you need to do is get the DNS addresses off your ISP and manually enter them into your router in its admin area. You can usually find the DNS addresses by going to your ISP's website and searching for DNS (you may have to log in as a member on your ISP's website,but you should be able to find them in any case).

After this, instead of taking about 60 seconds to load, it took about 4 seconds because COD2 MP is no longer trying to find out your ISP's DNS addresses.

:whistling: