Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer crippled after IEXPLORE Download [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

stratec

stratec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ran Windows Repair and IE still is crippled. I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like. Favorite star displays nothing, the "carrots" in the tool bar do nothing. Print icon doesn't work. So pretty much unchanged from before.

I have installed Firefox and it works fine. I really believe that I downloaded a utility thinking it would read my wife's iphone called iexplore and it was intended to be downloaded on a Mac. So crippled IE myself.

Is it possible for me to totally delete all of the IE .exe, .dll and Windows Screenshot 11-26.JPG directories and re-install it from Microsoft from scratch?

Advertisements

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi stratec,

Is it possible for me to totally delete all of the IE .exe, .dll and directories and re-install it from Microsoft from scratch?

Please don't do this. It could really mess things up. Instead we should roll back to IE7 by uninstalling IE8, and then try reinstalling IE8.

Uninstalling IE8:
  • Exit all programs.
  • Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  • Click Add or Remove Programs.
  • In the list of currently installed programs, click Windows Internet Explorer 8, and then click Remove.
  • Follow the instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
  • When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer and you should be back to IE7.
Now let's reinstall IE8:
Please download IE8 from here, double click on the icon, and follow the installation instructions. Let me know if IE behaves better now.

stratec

stratec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Control Panel Remove dies becuase it can't find several files. Attached are two screen shot error messages. The only way to proceed is to cancel this action.

Same error warns on ieakmmc.chm, ieeula.chm, iesupp.chm, iexplor.chm, inetres.adm, html.rec, and ieencode.dll.ooo.

Once you get through these warnings, Remove aborts.

Attached Thumbnails

• IE8 1.JPG
  • IE8 2.JPG

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi stratec,

Let's try another way of uninstalling. If this doesn't work, is there any way you can get hold of an XP cd?

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:
  • Carefully select and then copy the following command:%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
  • Click Start, and then click Run.
  • In the Open box, type Cmd.exe, and then press Enter.
  • Right-click inside the Cmd.exe window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
  • Press Enter to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
  • After the program is removed, restart your computer.

stratec

stratec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I got same error messages about missing files. I'll see if I can get an XP CD from work.

stratec

stratec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I'll have an XP CD tonight. Do I go back to tweaking.com and let it run SFC which somehow asks me for XP CD to be accessed?

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi stratec,

I'll have an XP CD tonight. Do I go back to tweaking.com and let it run SFC which somehow asks me for XP CD to be accessed?

Yes, please just insert the CD before you begin. Please post the log when you are finished. It will be located at C:\Windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log

stratec

stratec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Inserted XP CD , went to tweaking.com and did SFC and then repair. After reboot, no subdirectory called C:/windows/logs (see attached) and now IE won't come up at all. When I try to start, nothing happens.

Attached Thumbnails

• After tweaking com.JPG

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi stratec,

Don't worry about the log for now. Let's try installing IE8 over your current installation. Download the installation package from here and try to install it. Let me know how it goes.

stratec

stratec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Re-installed IE 8 per the link, rebooted, and still nothing happens when I try to launch it. Disk light comes on solid, makes some noises, then blink for awhile but nothing launches. Tried 3 times and nothing comes up. I go to Task Manager and nothing there for IE.

I also tried Control Panel / Remove IE 8 and get same warnings and abend of the process to remove like before.

Advertisements

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi stratec,

This is proving to be a tough nut to crack. I need to look at your SFC log.

• Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
  • If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
  • Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
  • This will open a notepad containing the SFC log. Please copy and paste it into your next reply. If it is too big, please zip it and attach it.

stratec

stratec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Sorry, man, could this possibly be the instructions for Windows 7. I'm XP. See screen shot of when I click on Start. I don't see where to enter cmd in Start Search box.

Attached Thumbnails

• Start.JPG

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Sorry, I forgot you were on XP instead of 7. To get a command prompt, please go start -> run -> type in "cmd.exe" and press enter. Then continue with step 3 above.

stratec

stratec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Didn't find it.

Attached Thumbnails

• cmd.JPG

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi stratec,

Let's try running SFC one more time, but in a different way. Please insert your XP cd again and open a command prompt in the same way as before. Then type in:

sfc /scannow >sfclog.txt

This should open a log when finished. Please paste the log in your next reply.