Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me buy a laptop

• Please log in to reply

mrbungle5223

mrbungle5223

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Im going to be going to college and I want to buy myself a laptop...I will probably only be able to afford a laptop under $1500...preferably closer to $1000...just a little over...can anyone give me some help on a laptop they would recommend me to purchase...i plan to use it for film and editing as well...all suggestions are greatly appreciated...thanks

Advertisements

ong2lua

ong2lua

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
You might want to try Sony Vio. As far as i know it's designed for Home video editor with video editing software installed. For Video editing, you will need a Pentium 4, anything above 3 Ghz CPU processing power and very high Video and RAM memory installed. This would cost you above $2000 if you want to get a Sony Laptop. With the price you want to pay, i suggest you to get a Desktop, because you can get more for it. Other than that, you might want to check out Yahoo' s Auction for Laptops. They have very good price at Yahoo's Auction. I think you should check it out. Good luck!

Ebene

Ebene

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Check out some of the new Toshiba Satellite series.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
look at dells- they have some nice deals

Havek923

Havek923

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Since I work at best buy as one of the "Geeks" I see which ones come back because of problems and what not. I would have to agree and check out the Toshiba Satellites. I Probley wouldn't get a Dell I see ALOT of them coming in to be fixed. you can get a real good toshiba for around a grand. Check em out. :tazz:

DeviousTrap

DeviousTrap

systems administrator

• Community Leader
  • 5,649 posts

Since I work at best buy as one of the "Geeks" I see which ones come back because of problems and what not. I would have to agree and check out the Toshiba Satellites. I Probley wouldn't get a Dell I see ALOT of them coming in to be fixed. you can get a real good toshiba for around a grand. Check em out.  :tazz:

View Post

No offense to you, but the laptops that come in to a Best Buy to get fixed are from not very knowledgable people. Dell also has a lot larger of a market share than Toshiba, so proportionally more of them should come in.

Dell currently makes some very good laptops, specifically the 700m and the Inspiron 6000. Dell is actually running a huge sale with a $750 off coupon today. I suggest you check the Hot Deals link in the header of the forum for the coupon code and instructions.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if I were getting a laptop between 1000 and 1500, I'd probably be getting this

http://www.pctorque.com/4880.php

or this

http://www.pctorque.com/3880.php

Havek923

Havek923

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

No offense to you, but the laptops that come in to a Best Buy to get fixed are from not very knowledgable people. Dell also has a lot larger of a market share than Toshiba, so proportionally more of them should come in.

View Post

Oh none taken man. I am well aware of the fact that 99% of the PCs that come in the front door are not problems with the PC. the problem rests between the seat and the keyboard. Oh well.. I am still very big on toshiba :tazz: But everyone will tell ya something diffrent and why they think one brand is better then another....

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
I have to give a suggestion since my dad is vice-president of IBM

Uhm...i suggest DELL computers...Just kidding ;)

IBM. I have one, works fine, haven't had any problems with the pc...only the typical windows xp problems but i fixed most of them. (of course they weren't caused by malfunctions of the PC itself.)

Anyway, good luck in College man!

:tazz:

- Maverick

merebear21

merebear21

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am looking for a good laptop for college as well, except I woun't be using it for film and editing, just the usual college stuff. Something around the low 1000s would be nice, but I don't mind having to put out some extra cash if its a really good laptop. I would also like to cutsomize my laptop, like choosing what programs I want (any suggestions for a music lover?) and dont want (AOL). I am more partial to PC than Macs because PCs seem more school friendly. Last bit, one of the academic groups that I am affiliated can provide discounts on gateway computers, but I am not sure if a gateway laptop will be the best buy even if it is the best price. Suggestions? Thanks to all who reply!