Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

icons and start menu don't open

• Please log in to reply

mrrelaxed

mrrelaxed

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hello all, i had a friend get on my computer and change things and i'm not to savy w/computers. all i know is that i can't find my downloads (the new icons aren't showing up) and my icons and start menu options wont even open with the "right click" option. the only thing i can do is search the web, everything else is messed up. thank you for your help.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Boot to Safe Mode by pressing F8 during boot, about once a second as soon as you see the manufacturers logo.
Login as Administrator (no password)
Click on Start and see if it works. If yes then do a System Restore to a date before your so called friend messed up your computer.

Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore to start it.

mrrelaxed

mrrelaxed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
none of those things work such as search, run, any programs. all i can do is log onto mozilla firefox and search the web. my recent download icons aren't showing up and when i search them down they wont open. this is all i can do. i can press f8 and open that begining screen but i don't know what to do with it.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Hit Control ALT DEL at the same time this will bring up your task manager hit new task then type CMD then OK then type or copy and paste the contents of the code box into the CMD window and hit enter this will bring up system restore for you. :)

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Edited by rockmilk, 20 November 2012 - 08:50 PM.

mrrelaxed

mrrelaxed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hello rockmilk and thank you for your response. i did as you suggested but, it turns out that all my restore points have been deleted. i can only go back to the 20th of this month. and that's not far enough back. i tried to enter a restore point but i guess you can't just make one up. i guess you have to return to a predetermined restore point. any other ideas?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you have a corrupted account (user profile) where things are all messed up when you login or you can't login then follow the directions here to create a new account and copy all your user data over to it:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811151

Or follow these directions posted in GeeksToGo.com
  • Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator
  • Show all files by opening My Computer, Tools menu, View tab, check Show Hidden Files/Folders then uncheck Hide extensions for known filetypes and Hide protected operating system files [Recommended]. Click Apply then OK.
  • Create a new Administrator level account via Control Panel / User Accounts.. Pick a good name as you will be keeping it.
  • Reboot the computer.
  • Login with the new account so the folder structure under Documents and Settings gets created, then log off.
  • Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator
  • Browse to c:\documents and settings\OldUserAccount
  • Select everything in that folder, including sub folders, except the three files called ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, and ntuser.ini.
  • Copy all those files into c:\documents and settings\NewUserAccount. Reply Yes or Yes to all when duplicate folders or files are found.
  • Reboot the computer and login with your New user account.
Once you confirm that all your documents are located in My Documents of the New user, you can delete the old profile.

mrrelaxed

mrrelaxed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
tech k4, i attempted what you suggested and i got to the "tools menu and then i didn't have a "view tab" option so i couldn't follow through w/the rest of the process.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Open notepad and copy and paste the below into note pad and name it newprofile.bat

@echo off
net user newuser/add /expires:never /passwordreq:no
net localgroup “Administrators” /add new user

Save it to your desktop or a place you will be able to find it. right click run as admin(xp users double click).Then reboot your machine.Then you will have a new account named newuser

mrrelaxed

mrrelaxed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
can't open note pad........

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You do have Windows XP, right?

Try this instead:

Show all files by opening Control Panel, Folder Options. Click on View tab, check Show Hidden Files/Folders then uncheck Hide extensions for known filetypes and Hide protected operating system files [Recommended]. Click Apply then OK.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Hit Control ALT DEL at the same time this will bring up your task manager hit new task then type Notepad then OK.:Perhaps you can open notepad this way.

mrrelaxed

mrrelaxed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok man, i did just as you said and when i rebooted there was no new acct.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
That is odd because i know that .bat file will create a new account,must be something with your machine.

Download the All in one Repair Tool Run the program vista/win 7 users please right click and run as admin. Go to step 4 and create a backup of your registry this tool involves changing registry keys and it is just a good idea to bak it up.Now go to the start repairs tab and run it with the following boxes checked.When running this tool disable your antivirus.

Reset Registry Permissions
Reset File Permissions
Register System Files
Repair WMI
Repair Windows FireWall
Repair Internet Explorer
Repair MDAV/MS Jet
Repair Hosts Files
Remove Policies Set By Infections
Repair Missing Start Menu Icons Removed By Infections
Repair Icons
Unhide Non System Files
Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service
Set Windows Services To DEfault Startup
Repair MSI (Windows Installer)
Repair.INK (Shortcuts) File Association

Reboot your machine. Check issue.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Be patient, it will take some time for it to run to completion.