Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tablet or Compact Laptop

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
So, my mother has been after an iPad for some time. She has a very old laptop which takes about a week to boot and hardly works any more, so ends up doing 99% of her browsing on her Android phone. For the most part she literally just checks emails and carries out usual daily browsing tasks. However she needs a proper sized screen, so is looking into getting a tablet.

Now, I'm an avid Apple hater (not discussing this, so don't bother) so obviously I'm against her wasting money on an iPad, so will push for her to get a Microsoft or Android alternative.

However my concern is, when it comes to documents (she will occasionally be sent a Word/Excel document that requires the ability to be read) she needs a way to open it. Do tablets actually offer this ability? If so, which will allow it? Do Windows tablets have Office installed?

Edited by tiroshii, 21 November 2012 - 03:21 AM.

Advertisements

Cotutor

Cotutor

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
tiroshii,
I'm with you on the no Crapple products thank you...
I'm an android lover from usability standpoint. My wife is on her second android tablet, and she loves it. I highly recommend the Asus tablet, which will allow you to purchase the extra docking station/keyboard and gives you an additional 8 hrs of battery life for a total of 16.
As for the documents and such I regularly view and edit word and excel documents on my droid using Deja Office, which is free from the Play market. I also can view pdf files as well.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
This is good! She upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy Ace around a year ago and loves it, so Android will be a good solution. She hates MS Office anyway (me thinks too complicated for old minds ;) ) so an alternative could work well. Also the keyboard add on is what she wants - forgot to mention previously. Will look into it, thanks!

flyboy1565

flyboy1565

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I have both compact laptop and a tablet (nexus 7). I would recommend either... I definitely recommend a nexus when on android, because you don't have to wait for updates.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
She gave me a ring on Saturday to say she was in town and tried an iPad and hated the GUI (YES!) so went for the Nexus 7 :thumbsup:

ShoppingMonk

ShoppingMonk

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Better take the Tab up to my view

gunner123

gunner123

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Both are good, but Tablet is more convenient.

JeffersonKrueger

JeffersonKrueger

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When it comes to convenience, it will be better to take a tablet. She made a right choice in deciding to get a Nexus Tablet.

Joossiiee

Joossiiee

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Take tablet instead of laptopo. You can alway buy compact wired keyboard.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
This topic is over 6 months old, why are people still replying? Mod please close.