Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphic card upgrde

Best Answer phillpower2 , 22 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the additional details Swapping the PSU will be no problem but the room that you have for the card will limit your options I`m afraid, the HD 6950 dimensions for example are 10.24... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
Acer aspire M3470

PCI E 2.0x16 slot
2 PCI E 2.0x1 slots
PCI v2,3(5v) slot

Want to upgrade graphic, up to 300$ budget, it supports up to 1 gb ATI and up to 2gb Nvidia
my knowledge in this department is limited, but I want to pimp my rig to its max.
Also would need to upgrade power supply??

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello racenutalways

Can you tell us what the main use of the computer will be so that we can make the appropriate suggestions for you.

Couple of pointers for you, before purchasing any upgrades I would suggest that you measure the dimensions of the present PSU and how much room that you have for the add on video card.

NB: Again depending on the intended use of your PC it may be beneficial to upgrade your Ram to 8GB.

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
PSU 5 3/4"x 5 1/2" x 3/14"
Graph has about 7" and maybe 2-3 inches thick

8gbs memory is already installed and will purchase 2 more 4gb sticks
in the near future

I use my pc for general use and like 1st person shooter games and sports.

AMD Radeon HD 6550D
AMD A8-3800
8192 MB
Acer specs says it supports ATI 1gb or Nvidia 2gb, don't know which would be better.
Went to yougamers and it recommended to run games like MOH Warfighter
AMD Radeon HD 6950
AMD Phenom II X4 940 (3.0 GHz)
4096 MB
And for Far Cry3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 400 series
AMD Phenom II X2 565
6144 MB

Hope this helps!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer
Thanks for the additional details :thumbsup:

Swapping the PSU will be no problem but the room that you have for the card will limit your options I`m afraid, the HD 6950 dimensions for example are 10.24" x 5.6" x 1.65" and the better cards are larger again.

It is good that you already have 8GB of Ram and in all honesty for your intended use any more than 8GB will be a waste of cash as you will not be running any form of software that will utilize it.

I will see what I can find graphic card wise based on the dimensions that you have provided.

FWIW: If you were not tight for space you could get both a good video card and quality PSU for your $300 budget.

Couple of cards that will fit http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814161395 and http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814500235

As an alternative you could upgrade your case, video card and PSU for under your $300 budget http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/oRjM

Edited by phillpower2, 23 November 2012 - 06:19 AM.
Links added