Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Restore

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
My apologies if I already posted this. I meant to do so yesterday but didn't find in under OS. My computer for some reason will not do a windows restore no matter what date I choose. No major problems but nagings ones that I want to correct. Does this indicate a major problem and perhaps I need to reinstall the OS? XP RRO

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What happens when you try to do a restore? What error message do you get? Where in the process does it fail?

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
It goes through the restore process but I get an error message that restoration can not be completed, choose another date However no matter what date I choose from those available, I will get the same message. This happened (coincidence?) after I installed Comodo firewall and then uninstalled it.

jannie123

jannie123

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I can't help, can say I have had the same problem and in fact for quite a while, until now it didn't really matter, but it does now. Hope you are able to solve.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Remove all existing System Restore points, then create a new one. That should fix the problem.

Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
Click on the System Restore tab.
Check the Turn off System Restore on all drives box.
Click Apply.

You will be prompted with a warning message that this process cannot be undone and will automatically delete all existing restore points on your computer. Click OK. All System Restore points will be deleted.

Un-check the Turn off System Restore on all drives box.
Click Apply.

A new System Restore point will be created that should be useable.

Also reduce the amount of space allocated to System Restore.

Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
Click on the System Restore tab.

Choose the drive you want to add storage space to (if you have more than one) and click Settings.

You'll see a box with a slider. At the bottom of the box, you'll see the number of megabytes currently devoted to System Restore. Move the slider from its Max setting toward Min. I try to keep 2 to 3GB allocated.

Click APply then OK.