Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new system build powering off... HALP!

• Please log in to reply

davekov

davekov

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am building my first from-scratch computer. And it isn't working.

Dear Internets: HELP!

=========================================

All parts arrived. I built the system carefully & with good anti-static precautions.

I had some trouble at first, but it was all clearly my fault - must plug the PSU into the mobo by the 20+4 AND the 8-ATX, case fans should be plugged into the mobo OR the Molex... important stuff! But once it was all said and done, things seemed to be going better.

The computer would boot. It would POST clear (single beep). Launching BIOS would show all processor cores recognized and operating well and cool, all four RAM chips up and running, all drives recognized... all a-ok.

I installed Windows 7 to the SSD, booted, and it launched! Internet and USB3.0 connectivity. Beautiful.

After about 5 minutes, computer suddenly powered off. Rebooted, tried again, and... yeah. Between 2 and 10 minutes of perfect working, then it would suddenly completely lose power. No BSD, no freezing - off.

I tried playing around. I disconnected all case fans, the DVD drive and secondary hard drives. Then it wouldn't get past the BIOS. I tried plugging them back in. Same deal. I tried removing the graphics card - then it wouldn't even POST. I put everything back, and... nope. No booting.

Based on my research, I concluded that the most likely culprit was either the mobo or psu. So I returned them both. Replacements just arrived. So I put them in, rebuilt the machine, and turned it on.

POSTed successfully. BIOS showed all clear. Got the ubiquitous 'windows did not shut down correctly' message. I told it to boot normally. And - power off.

This happened three times in a row. Nada.

I tried booting windows from cd. Nothing. I tried booting Linux Mint from a Live CD. same problem.

I took out the graphics card, tried booting - nope, wouldn't POST.

I put the graphics card back in, and - still won't POST.

I took it apart entirely and put it back together. Everything seems properly connected! Then the fans spin up properly, everything looks great... but no signal to the monitor.

I try DVI, I try HDMI... nothing. I try with one stick of ram, w/o peripherals, w/o graphics card... nothing.

Then it stops getting that far. Now it powers off a few seconds after I press the on button.

The computer is in the exact same configuration it was in when it would (at various times) A) boot successfully but power off after a short time, B) power off at the launch of the gui, C) display BIOS but not get to bootloader, D) turn on but output nothing to monitor, E) power off the moment it was turned on.

I took it apart completely and put it back together again. Nothing.

I tried an on-the-box build - nothing but motherboard and PSU, hooked up to power and the monitor. And with various combinations of peripherals. Entirely outside the case. Nothing.

I've tried booting from each hard drive, from various install CDs... nothing.

I've gotten a new power supply, a new mobo, and tried every possible combination of chips and peripherals. Right now it's just a box of very expensive silicon.

Dear Internet: WHAT CAN I DO?!

=========================================

The specs are as follows:

PROCESSOR:
intel core i7-3770k ivy bridge 3.5ghz lga 1155 77w quad-core desktop processor / intel hd graphics 4000

MOBO:
gigabyte ga-z77x-d3h lga 1155 intel z77 atx

RAM:
avexir standard ddr3-1600 32gb (8gbx4) cl10

PSU:
xion xon-850p14f 850w, atx 12v 2.91 & eps 12v

OTHER:

27″ ViewSonic monitor
Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste
Rosewill wireless card
LG CD/DVD burner/player
Western Digital Green 3TB 7200rpm drives x2
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos SATAIII 240GB SSD

========================================

HELP!

-davekov
davekov dot com

Edited by davekov, 23 November 2012 - 02:25 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday davekov, Posted Image

You seem to have tried most things to troubleshoot, but it needs to be done in a more specific order. Please answer all the questions.

1. Is the OS a genuine disk, OEM or retail, ?
2 When, the last time, you re installed the CPU, did you clean of the old TIM and apply fresh paste?
3. Did you change the I/O shield installing the one that came in the Mobo box?.
4. At initial entry to the BOIS, did you set time and date? set the boot order to CD first? set AHCI mode.?
5. When installing the OS, did you install the Intel drivers for the SSD?
6. When installing the Optical/HDDs, did you use the short screws supplied?

Please read the following review and at the end go to the Memtest86 website, follow the instructions to download and burn a ISO disk. http://pcsupport.abo...r/memtest86.htm

Do another box test, (bare bones/breadboard) Disconnect the power to the PSU, > Take anti static measures. >
Take out the Mobo, place on the box. > Remove all the RAM and place on 4 numbered sheets of paper.

Inspect the standoff on the Mobo mounting plate. They must match exactly the pattern and number of screw holes in the Motherboard, no extra ones otherwise a short could be created. Inspect the back of the Mobo, check that all 4 fastening pins are the same length and locked into position.

Connect the 2 power cable from the PSU to the Mobo. > connect the CPU fan plug to the CPU fan header on the Mobo. > Connect the system beeper. There should be nothing else on the Mobo except the CPU, heat-sink and fan. Turn on the power and with a screwdriver, briefly short out the 2 power on pins on the Mobo. The PSU and CPU fans should run, you may receive a beep code? Let it run for half an hour, switch off and let us know the outcome.

Y

davekov

davekov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Did another box test: nothing on the mobo but CPU, heat sink, & PSU cables (20+4 & 8). Automatic power-off after 1/2 second.

Can't get far enough to memtest86 or anything high-level like that :-(

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi davekov.
It is important that you answer all the questions from Post #2. As you have tried the replacement board in the case and if the stand-offs were incorrectly placed? you may have already caused a short/damage. Also incorrectly cleaning/application of TIM, uneven pin locking, could cause overheating and shut-down, although half a second is a bit quick.

You could have been very, very unlucky and one of the replacement parts is faulty.
Try first confirming the PSU is good, this can only be tested properly under load, a local store may do this for you or, try a know working PSU to test the CPU or, RMA it.

When the PSU is sorted, Suggest for the CPU. Take anti static measures, > remove the heat-sink, > remove the CPU from the socket and inspect for any foreign material, > inspect the CPU for misaligned/bent pins. If everything is OK.

Thoroughly clean both the CPU top and the cooler plate using 99% Isopropyl alcohol or a cleaning kit like this, > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010 do not use nail varnish remover or petroleum based products.

Reseat the CPU, > apply the correct amount of TIM, > install the cooler, making sure the pins are in the unlocked position, > inspect the cak of the Mobo for correct pin locking, > connect the CPU fan plug to the CPU socket on the Mobo, > connect the 2 power cable from the PSU, connect the system beeper, > test. If OK, reply before proceeding further. If no good.

Providing you know the PSU is good, the Mobo or CPU is faulty. further options, test the CPU on a known good Mobo, test a known good CPU on your Mobo, RMA the parts.

davekov

davekov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Removed everything from mobo. Physical inspection of mobo, cpu, psu, all seems OK. Cleaned fan and cpu as per your instructions. Reapplied small amount of thermal grease, reseated fan, then hooked up psu (20+4 and 8ATX) - all as an external build (top-of-box).

Now it does not power on in the slightest. No fan spin-up. Nothing.

Am going to RMA all relevant parts, and pray.

I'll keep you posted. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

-davekov

davekov dot com

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome davekov, only sorry not able to resolve the problem, what a ??? Without having relevant spares laying around, there is only so far one is able to go with troubleshooting.

A couple of thoughts. You probable have know way of knowing, but wondering how stable the power supply to your home is. It may be wise to use a extension power strip with surge protection, not a cheapy $7 one from Walmart. Check the wires for damage, that run to the front case switches.
With your new parts, do a box build again, adding RAM, use the Mobo graphics outlet until you have the board in the case. Add the GPU and test. Make the wireless card the last item you install and test.
What case do you have?

Edited by iammykyl, 26 November 2012 - 04:52 AM.