Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Checking System consistency, type of file NTFS - Freezes

• Please log in to reply

themcguffin

themcguffin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
It's been a little while since this started so ...

I'm using Windows 7 and I believe I got an update. After it downloaded and started to install, it rebooted. When it started booting back up, after Windows started I got:Checking file system on C
type of file system is NTFS
volume label is OS
----------------------------------

One of your disk needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel disk check but it is strongly recommended. Cancel by pressing any key to continue . . . and gives me a 10 second countdown. I wait . . . and I wait. It doesn't ever finish checking for consistency. So I wait, 24 hours, the I reset it. When I get the same thing. I wait for 48 hours. I reset again. Finally, Windows boots and I use it for a couple of days. Then my computer dies and stops taking a charge, I replace the powerboard hoping that was the problem and it was. But now I'm back to checking file system C and it freezes after the countdown. I can't even skip the countdown by hitting any keys. It just keeps counting and when it reaches 1, it stays there. Again I wait 24 hours. No change. I reset and wait 48 hours. No change. I'm afraid to keep resetting it because I'm afraid that's how I blew out the powerboard.

I've looked through the forums but haven't found this exact error with the freezing. Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

Brent

Advertisements

hilly76

hilly76

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Brent,
I read your problem and I'm having the same problem with windows vista, this has just started and I've never heard of it before, if you find a solution could you message me on here , I'm no good with computers and am at a complete loss.
Regards
Hilary

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 November 2012 - 09:35 AM.
Removed email for security and TOU only allow for help in topic.

themcguffin

themcguffin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sure thing, no problem.
Brent

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: themcguffin

Removing bad updates then reinstalling them

Go into Add/Remove Programs
Click the little box on the top that says Show All Updates
Scroll through and find the offending update and remove it.
Now try updating again and see if it corrects the faulty update.

If you are unsure which update it was uninstall all updates up until the date that the issue started and then reinstall them one at a time until all are updated correctly and/or the problem update has been identified,

Let us know how it goes.

themcguffin

themcguffin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Phillpower2,

I'll do that as soon as I can. But in the meantime, do you have any ideas on how to get it past being frozen on the Checking System consistency black screen?

Thanks again,

Brent

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You could try a System Recovery http://www.sevenforu...ry-options.html and how to access the Advanced Boot Options http://www.sevenforu...ot-options.html

Good luck.

themcguffin

themcguffin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks again. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:thumbsup: