Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new install questions on formatting & partition

• Please log in to reply

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Hi all, I just did a new install of windows 7 on a brand new hd (Seagate momentus). But--now after the fact--I do not recall either formatting the drive or creating a separate "partition" for the windows OS, as I seem to remember doing in the past for previous Windows versions on other hds. . . . Is this going to be a problem for the sys.? Were these done automatically? (At least I'm pretty sure I accidentally forgot to check the format box in the custom install options.) I just want some peace of mind that I didn't start off on the completely wrong foot w/ this new hd. Thank you,

Toshiba NB505
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Atom CPU N455 @ 1.66 GHz
RAM 2.00 GB
32 bit OS

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

A brand new hdd is empty so when you install Windows 7 the setup will create 2 new partitions and format them accordingly, no need to worry.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Oh--great to know. Thank you for easing my doubts. And happy holidays:)