Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Running Very Slow

• Please log in to reply

drater66

drater66

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Recently (over the past month) I’ve noticed my computer running a lot slower? I know it's an older system and I’m using up a lot of my memory (10g free, out of 144g). My task manager shows the system idling and I run Spybot & Security Essential with everything comes up clean?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Justin

OTL logfile created on: 11/25/2012 10:29:44 AM - Run 1
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 Folder = C:\Documents and Settings\Gold\Desktop
Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3 (Version = 5.1.2600) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 8.0.6001.18702)
Locale: 00000409 | Country: United States | Language: ENU | Date Format: M/d/yyyy

1.99 Gb Total Physical Memory | 0.68 Gb Available Physical Memory | 34.38% Memory free
3.33 Gb Paging File | 1.95 Gb Available in Paging File | 58.47% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): C:\pagefile.sys 1524 3048 [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\WINDOWS | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 144.34 Gb Total Space | 10.67 Gb Free Space | 7.39% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

Edited by rshaffer61, 25 November 2012 - 03:19 PM.
Removed Malware Log...not used in this forum

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello drater66

I’m using up a lot of my memory (10g free, out of 144g).

You have identified at least one cause of the issue yourself already, the amount of free storage space on your HDD is too low and this is not only slowing down your computer it is putting the operating system at risk of corruption and the HDD failing mechanically.

You can free up some storage space yourself quickly by uninstalling any programs that you no longer use such as games that you no longer play etc, do this by using Add/Remove programs and be sure to follow any uninstall directions that you receive to ensure that no stray files remain, once you have done this follow the steps below please;

Start with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.

Something to keep in mind for the future, you should always have a minimum of 15% free space of the overall storage capacity of the HDD available on a permanent basis to avoid issues such as this.

NB: It is near midnight here in the UK and I have work early tomorrow so I will be going offline shortly, plenty for you to do however and a colleague may pitch in if it is necessary.