Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Warcraft III TFT: Severe lag Problems

• Please log in to reply

Evolnieineg

Evolnieineg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:

My computer is a screwed up PC, but WC used to work pretty smoothly, i used to use SBC Yahoo DSL! and could host games fine, for some unknown reason my sister switched it to Comcast Cable, which i was fine with because DSL does have several problems. I thought Comcast would be perfect, the first day it was installed, WCIII:TFT worked fine, the next day it works fine until i hosted a game with friends, and suddenly everyone is lagging out crazy.

We test it a few times, and it was definitely me who was lagging. Ever since then (for the past week or 2) i've been lagging ONLY for WCIII:TFT USWEST, i tried the other servers, the same lag. My bandwidth ranges from 300 - 800 mbps, my regular internet works fine, such as yahoo.com, google.com etc etc blah blah

I tested on some online games, strictly through Internet Explorer, and those simple online games also lag, ranging from 300 - 1200 ms AVERAGE when pinging

i tried a TRACERT to the server, and i got 30+ hops with about 40% Timed Out, and the rest from as low as 25 to as high as 900 ms.

I called Comcast, they pinged my modem etc, said it was fine, sent a technician, technician was baffled (although i think he was not qualified to help)

Some of the nerdier friends i have? Baffled (one suggested a virus)

I Alt+Tabbed as in one of the other posts, but my computer usage % is only at 5-20 % max

I have NO clue whats going on =/

Plzz help- ;)

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
do a tracert and post the results here So I can direct you properly.

thanks,
Starjax

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I also use comcast cable for broadband. heres some things you will want to know.

your download speed is MUCH larger than your upload speed. I dont know if the speeds are the same everywhere, but in my area I get 4Gb/s download, 384Kbs upload. thats the published speeds. in practice its usually a bit lower.
also its a shared connection. speeds can vary widely depending on how many folks are on.
the biggest thing to watch for is if you have digital cable as well: the on demand service they do for movies, etc. is all coming down that same piece of wire. so if someone in your house starts an on demand movie, your internet bandwidth virtually stops. (learned that from the head of IT at my work- his wife starts a movie, and his download speed drops to almost zero) I expect comcast to proudly announce they will be increasing our download speeds "at no cost to us" fairly soon- again. couple years ago it was only 2Gps down, then 3, now 4...

another unfortunate occurrence- make sure you have a good firewall, hackers can gain access somewhat easily looking at other machines on the same section, before its hits the comcast gateway server. I used to get a lot of warnings about blocked access attempts before I put in my netgear router with a built in firewall. note thats in addition to the zonealarm firewall on each PC.

all that said, I have used them for 3 years now, and have only had 1 outage for about 18 hours. it works and works well. I use to connect to game servers, and usually have some of the lowest ping times of all the players.
as I mentioned above, even my company's IT chief uses comcast broadband, so its pretty good (but he's not hosting servers for people to connect to at his house). if you lock them into a price package now, its very hard for them to try and increase your price later.

its just kinda difficult to host games servers, etc because of the lower upload speed. :tazz: