Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W7 Pro Windows Installer & Explorer ERRORs ~~HELP

• Please log in to reply

Jayli

Jayli

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello. I have a Laptop with Windows 7 Professional. When I start the laptop and log into my user, everything looks fine.

When I right click on the desktop, Windows Installer starts. (It will only happen 1 time, but I when I restart it happens again). * I think it's trying to load Office 2007, but cannot find a file.

If I attempt to go into the Control Panel, Windows Installer starts, then windows explorer starts, then crashes. This problem has been happening for a while.

Please let me know what you need and I'll be happy to provide it. Thanks.

Advertisements

narenxp

narenxp

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Go to

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

Download office 2007 uninstaller(fixit) from here>>method 2

Download the fixit and run it.This should uninstall office 2007

Restart the PC and reinstall it

NOTE:Do not right click or launch any program that could trigger windows installer pop up.You will not be able to run the fixit if another instance of installer is running.

good luck

Jayli

Jayli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello and THANK YOU for the response. Since joining Geeks, it's been my understanding that only Moderators and/or Experts can respond to the posts and give repair advise. Is this true? I'm NOT trying to offend you or not accept your advise, but I just thought those were the rules.

Anyway, I purchased this laptop from ebay with software pre-installed, so I do not have a disk to reinstall Office 2007 or any other program that I might lose in this process. That's why I'm being super careful about the repairs or fixes being applied to my laptop.

I don't care about losing Office 2007 if it's going to fix my system. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Hello and THANK YOU for the response. Since joining Geeks, it's been my understanding that only Moderators and/or Experts can respond to the posts and give repair advise. Is this true? I'm NOT trying to offend you or not accept your advise, but I just thought those were the rules.

No this is not correct. GTG is a open forum atmosphere other then in the malware area. In the Tech forums any member can reply to any topic they believe they can be of assistance with. Malware is a closed forum where as only the Techs who have been trained and recognized by GTG can offer help. There you would usually deal with only one Tech and members are not allowed to respond and can not respond for that fact.
I hope this answers the question at the this time. :thumbsup:

Jayli

Jayli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
@ rshaffer61. Now I understand. Thanks.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
NarenXp is very knowledgeable His advice is usually pretty solid. :thumbsup:

Jayli

Jayli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks RockMilk.

I downloaded the "Fix" as directed. Ran it, saw it deleting items (Office 2007), then saw FIX doing a clean up in the CMD Window. Now it's not doing anything. Only a blank BLUE screen with the mouse cursor. Not seeing any action on HD light. Pls advise. Thanks.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Reboot your machine.

Jayli

Jayli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks. Rebooted with power button. It shut down. Then powered up again. Looked normal, but when I got to the Log in screen, 2 of my users icons were missing and my main user Jayli had "locked" below it. Clicked on that icon, then system started as it normally does. Desktop did not show up. Back to Blue Screen again w mouse icon. Thanks.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
You may want to wait on NarenXp to respond as he started this. :thumbsup:

Jayli

Jayli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks. Seems that fix finally worked. After rebooting a few times, I finally got my main screen working again. Right clicked, no Installer problems. Clicked on Control panels, all is good. I think it's fixed, hopefully for good. Thanks to Everyone involved. :thumbsup:

Jayli

Jayli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Please mark as SOLVED or let me know how to do it. I would like to close this topic. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We don't close topics in the tech part of this forum. Only the malware topics are closed after resolution.

Jayli

Jayli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks. I also have an old issue in the Malware forum and have been trying to get it closed. What do I need to do about that post? Thanks. FYI, I was considering applying for GeekU and know I cannot apply if I have a open forum item.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Contact Rkinner and he can close it for you. :thumbsup: