Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aspire 5515 cpu upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Philip50

Philip50

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I would like to know what types of cpu's I can install inside of my Aspire 5515. I want to speed it up.I understand the AMD 5050e will do. I would like to know if there are others and what problems I might encounter. Any info?

Advertisements

howtheflip

howtheflip

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
The biggest problem you may face in upgrading to that processor is if your current cpu is soldered down. If this is true, you run the risk of completely breaking your computer if you try to remove it yourself. Many places can probably do this, but will of course charge you for it, quite possibly more than it's worth. I'd try to check if your cpu is soldered down or if it can be removed by moving the "screw" 180 degrees and lifting it away.

Philip50

Philip50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi I did replace my cpu. It was easy I just opened the laptop up the cpu was in a socket. Pulled it out of the socket and traded it with a AMD Athlon 64 1640b (45w). I went to cpu world (online) found my cpu, they listed others in that catagory. I found out online that I could go to 45w without a big problem. My cpu fan runs alot more. Found a cpu that I wanted on ebay for 12.99. Bought it, put it in. Been using it for about 6 days now. Totally cool.

howtheflip

howtheflip

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I hope that you applied new thermal paste on it as well? If not, the fan will run a lot more because the cpu is basically frying itself without it.