Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HTPC Specific Parts

• Please log in to reply

MreowBlah

MreowBlah

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone! I'm going to be building my first HTPC. I was looking up parts and I got confused so I wanted peoples' opinions of the following set up:

1) CPU: AMD A4-2400 2.7 Ghz (AD3400OJHXBOX) --> There was also an option for the AD3400OJGXBOX. I was comparing specs but couldn't find the bloody difference!)So, my first questions is: what is the difference between the GX and the HX?

2) Motherboard: ASRock A75M-ITX

3)RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR 1333: CMV4GX3M2A1333C9

4) Hard Drive: 2TB Western Digital

5) Case: APEX MI-008 Mini-ITX

6) Blu Ray Drive: (LITE-ON ihes112-04 recommended) Can I use IHBS112-04 instead?

7) CPU Fan: GELID 80mm FN-PX08-20

Most of the guides I've been looking at are older so I was wondering:
- Are there updates you would suggest?
- Do you predict any incompatibilities?
- Can anything in this list be replaced with something that will make the HTPC last longer, since a lot of help posts are for broken HTPCs?

Please consider a 50/50 balance between price and value. (I would rather pay more for something that will last longer. Having said that, I don't want to pay $100 more for something that would last 2 months longer...)

Thanks, all!

Advertisements

Zolton33

Zolton33

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I would go with a fm2 board and a fm2 socket cpu. Why? Its newer and has a better built in gpu. Plus in a few years if you need to upgrade you can upgrade to a newer fm2 cpu. And most cpu's come with a cpu fan so unless it says it does not come with one there is no need to order one. The best fm2 cpu is the 5800k and it will handle any thing a htpc could throw at it plus allow for gaming if you wanted plus has a better faster cpu for more clearer and steady video streaming. But up to you.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi MreowBlah

what is the difference between the GX and the HX?

The CPU are identical. GX, Has the introduction date Aug 2011, Prise $69, extended electrical specs.
The HX, has an updated introduction date, Dec 2011, End-of-Life date, End of 4th quarter 2012, limited electrical specs.

I agree with Zolton33 assessment/suggestion,

A fairly firm budget would help in configurin a rig.
Will the unit be in your living area?
In wich country would you be buying your parts in?
What screen will you be using,? brand and model please.
Does the case have to be a flat box as you have selected? or can it be one from this selection?, > http://uk.hardware.i...compact-chassis