Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no internet connection. says lead unplugged

• Please log in to reply

jon90

jon90

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
System XP

Modem is Belkin N300
Hi.
We had a massive crack of thunder and lightning today and now I cannot connect my desktop to my modem.
It tells me that a lead is unplugged but it is not, and I have tried 2 other leads.
The modem was replaced, and the wireless connection around my home is fine.
If I plug my sons belkin wireless adaptor in, it will work but I cannot use it through the earthnet lead.
We did not lose power at all or phone connection but something has gone haywire with the direct connection.
Thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello jon90

Couple of questions if I may;

Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs.
Have you tried disconnecting the device from the computer, uninstalling the device software in Add/Remove programs, restart the computer and then do a fresh install of the device software.

NB: It is important that you do not physically connect the device until you get an onscreen message to do so while you are installing the software.

jon90

jon90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi
OK, I checked the device manager and there were no red or yellow things.
After the storm yesterday my modem was connecting and disconnecting from the net. When it connected we could use wireless connection but not earthnet
After spending time on the phone with our internet provider we found that we needed to replace the modem.
To get it set up, I connected my laptop thru the earthnet connection and set it all up.
but when I plug the earthnet lead into my desktop it gives me the same info as the old modem "network cable unplugged"
I did not know if the thunder and lightning cased some fault with my computor, I can hook up a wireless USB adaptor on my desktop and it will work, but not thru the cable.
Thanks
Jon

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello jon90

Is the Ethernet port integrated into the MB or is it an add on card.
The reason that I ask is because if it was integrated into the MB and it had been taken out by an electrical charge you would expect it to have hosed your MB altogether, this is only marginally less likely to happen if the device is the add on card type though, please see the attached link for how to check your Ethernet port with a Ping and ipconfig test http://www.pcweenie..../trouble1.shtml let us know how it goes.

jon90

jon90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi
It is built in to the MB.
I have gone into the manager and it said that the realteck device is working properly.
My son suggested I uninstall and reinstall this adaptor, but I am not sure if it is on the xp disc, the masterboard disc or I have a earthnet USB ADSL Driver disc but I am not sure that it belongs to this computor.
Thanks
Jon

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello jon90

Please go into the Device Manager, right click on the Realtek network adaptor and uninstall it, restart your computer and see if Windows reinstalls the device, let us know how this goes.

jon90

jon90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok. I have done that and it reinstalled it with a #2 but it still the same.If I go to local area connection properties and go to general, open up RPC service it says name of service provider, and that is WINDOWS LOCATOR and under that in network address it is faint and empty.
Does that mean anything

jon90

jon90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am not really into this side of computors but I also notced that going into local area properties and click configure, go to advanced and the property list says 802.1Q/1pVLAN tagging is disabled.
Network Address says not present
link speed says auto.
Do these sound OK.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Did you try the suggestions in my reply #4 and if so what happened.

No as the device may be disabled in the BIOS, to check;

Restart your computer. Pay close attention to the first screen that displays as the computer is restarting.
Wait for the message that instructs you to press a specific key to enter the setup menu.

Press the indicated key quickly and repeatedly to enter your computer's BIOS. Once in the BIOS, you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate through the available options.

Look for "Integrated Peripherals," "Onboard Devices," "On-Chip PCI Devices," or similar text. Press the "Enter" key to access the menu. Depending on the type and year of your BIOS, the exact menu text will vary. Generally, you should find something that indicates the settings are related to your on-board integrated peripherals.

Find and select "Integrated LAN," "Onboard Ethernet," or similar text. Use the left and right arrow keys to cycle through the available options. In most cases, these are either "Enabled" or "Disabled."

Press the "F10" key to Save your settings, exit and then "Y" to confirm.
Your PC should now reboot and hopefully Windows should now automatically detect and use your Ethernet controller.

jon90

jon90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am having trouble here.
It says to use F9 but it comes up with a black screen with writing but none of the things you state . As soon as I try to move an arrow it starts opening as usual.
I also tried to do a restore but it will not let me . I have tried many times before but it always says unsuccessful . I turned off norton 360 but no difference.
I have used restore on my sons laptop and our old computer and never had a problem.
Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Have you tried tapping F8 or the Del key instead of F9.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

jon90

jon90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thaks for your help but for the time being I have used a wireless USB connection and it works fine. I managed to do a restore but that did not fix the problem. I will look at what you have suggested with the pitstop when I get I get time, or I may just leave it on wireless fill new year.
Thanks for your info and I really appreciate your help.
Jon

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No worries, give us a shout in the new year if you need to and seasons greetings to you <_<

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup: