Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sfc on XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
I tried to perform a sfc /scannow on my XP Pro SP3 today and WFP asked for my CD. I don't have a CD for this version of XP though I do have an XP Home Edition. Can I use that? I'm thinking no!

How about a work around? I found that I could point to the I386 folder, though even after I went to Folder Options to Show hidden files and folders, I still can't find the I386 folder on the %systemroot% which is C:\.

Can I install the standalone version of SP3 and extract the I386 folder to the %systemroot% (C:\) drive and use it?

That's what I did when I needed to replace an infected file from the I386 folder in one of my PL's. Think it would work for sfc?

If not, where else would I find the I386 folder? Shouldn't it be there?

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Run sfc /scannow without a CD.

This applies to Windows XP.
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePath setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again by this process:

Click Start > Run

Type sfc /scannow then click OK

Allow it to run, it should take several minutes.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi CompCav,

Thanks for responding. I tried changing the valuedata under that key from D:\ to C:\ but received the same WFP warning to insert the CD.

All the other valuedata's had a backslash so I added that into the change. I also tried it without the backslash. Same response, insert CD.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can borrow any XP cd as long as it matches yours to do the SFC.
IS this a branded system as sometimes the I386 folder won't may not be there.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
I've tried to borrow XP Pro version CD before without any luck finding one. It is an older Dell Optiplex GX240 given to me by a co-worker. No recovery partition.

WFP says:

Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now.

I click retry and it tells me:

The CD you provided is the wrong CD.
Please insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now.

This is after I change the valuedata. Does this mean there might be a CD in the drive? The drive doesn't open for me to find out. Not even sure the CD Drive works! Might have to take apart the tower and remove the CD Drive to find out.

Any ideas?

Edited by DonnaB, 02 December 2012 - 09:33 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you own a legal XP pro lic?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Yes, I do. The COA is in great shape and perfectly readable.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm checking now as there is a site where you can download a legal copy of your OS as long as you have a legal COA.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
I think I know which site you're talking about and it is perfectly legal since it is the COA that you pay for. I had to do that for my sons Win7 back in January after a really nasty rootkit was installed and the damage was too great.

I might have another problem (though where there's a will, there's a way) if we do come across an XP Pro .iso I could download. I mentioned I can't get the CD-ROM to open so last night I checked the USB ports in case I had to reinstall via flash drive. They don't work either. sigh....... But that's ok. I need to purchase an enclosure for my external HDD anyway to access and retrieve files from after monsieur kitty cat knocked it off my desk and I could use that for this purpose as well to reinstall the OS then put the HDD back in the desktop. Right? I hope so...sounds like fun to me! :happy:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That should work out. The site is mydigitallife but I can't find the canned from Ztrucker with the instructions.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Yep! Same site I downloaded the Win7 .iso from. I still have the instructions (link) given to me for the Win7 .iso though I'm sure in this case they have to be tweaked a bit to fit my needs. Right?

Let me know if you find your instructions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ztrucker I hope has the actual link but I am working on it also.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry, but there is no legal site to download XP (any version) from.

If you did manage to locate one, you would have to slipstream SP3 so it matches the Service Pack level of the installed XP.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Slipstreaming Guides

http://www.lancelhof...nto-windows-xp/

http://www.maximumpc...3_and_vista_sp1