Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mem or processor? freeze and reboot errors

• Please log in to reply

brinas30

brinas30

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Desktop - custom build myself in Nov 2011 (Newegg newbie - eyerolls? lol)
INFO:
MB: BIOSTAR A880G+
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 445 3.10 GHz, Direct X
RAM: 8G (2-4G sticks)
HD: 1T, 829GB Free
VID: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series, GAMING: 4863 MB Total available graphics memory
WIN7 OS 64-BIT

I attached SpeedFan, Computer management shot, CPUz and CPUID HW Monitor info.

Computer has run perfect for a year, began to freeze and require hard reboot. Seems to occur during multi-tasking at high rates.
Some windows errors state info was not put in memory with various error codes, but mostly just freezes.
Reboot errors state:
problem communicating with a device or sometimes errors say winload and sometimes boot with various error codes
Occasional reboots start, some state unable to connect to drive or locate drive. If I shut down and wait 5 minutes it will reboot without issue.

There are no noises, no excessive fan speeds, no additional heat from heatsink detected, no processing max's on task manager or any physical identifiable markers other than error codes I don't understand.

I know enough to work easy enough with you but not enough which makes me dangerous if I start changing things I don't fully understand :)

My next step is to remove one mem stick at a time and see what happens with each until I get a response here with any suggestions. THANKS ~ Bri
Posted Image

SCREENSHOT & INFO BELOW
(edited to include addt'l screen shots)
EDIT:
Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.
No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

SPEEDFAN.jpg
computermgmt.jpg
cpuz-mainboard.jpg
cpuz-mem.jpg
cpuz-cpu.jpg
cpuz-spd.jpg

Attached File  HWMonitor.txt   25.38KB   190 downloads

Edited by brinas30, 05 December 2012 - 10:52 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello brinas30

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU please.

HWMonitor is showing that the +3.3V rail on the PSU is too low and as Speedfan does not show a comparison can you please run Everest and provide us with a screenshot of those results;

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so your temps and voltages can be checked.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

The +3.3V rail provides power to the following Chipsets, some DIMMs, PCI/AGP/PCIe cards, miscellaneous chips and so a bad output may be affecting the memory slots (hardware) and the reason why you have no crash dumps (software) for example.

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Than you for responding! Posted Image

PSU is a RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with Build-in LED Fan On/Off Switch.

Also, rams are
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

Oh and case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

hope that helps?
Below is pasted report: (it sure doesn't come out looking like this once I hit reply tho lol)
--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------ Version EVEREST v2.20.405 Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/ Report Type Report Wizard Computer BREE-PC Generator Bree Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate Media Center Edition 6.1.7601 Date 2012-12-10 Time 02:23--------[ Summary ]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Computer: Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate Media Center Edition OS Service Pack - DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c) Computer Name BREE-PC User Name Bree Motherboard: CPU Type 2x , 3100 MHz Motherboard Name Unknown Motherboard Chipset Unknown System Memory 8192 MB BIOS Type Unknown Communication Port Communications Port (COM1) Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1) Display: Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB] (190116843009) Multimedia: Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB] Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB] Storage: IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller Disk Drive ST31000524AS ATA Device (931 GB, IDE) Optical Drive ATAPI iHAS424 B ATA Device SMART Hard Disks Status FAIL Partitions: C: (NTFS) 953766 MB (847924 MB free) Input: Keyboard HID Keyboard Device Mouse HID-compliant mouse Mouse HID-compliant mouse Network: Network Adapter Linksys AE2500 (192.168.1.104) Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) Peripherals: Printer Fax Printer Lexmark X6100 Series Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer Quicken PDF Printer USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB] USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB] USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB] USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB] USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB] USB2 Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB] USB2 Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB] USB Device Lexmark X6100 Series USB Device Linksys AE2500 USB Device USB Composite Device USB Device USB Composite Device USB Device USB Composite Device USB Device USB Input Device (Logitech Download Assistant) USB Device USB Input Device USB Device USB Input Device USB Device USB Input Device USB Device USB Input Device USB Device USB Input Device USB Device USB Printing Supporteverest screenshot:everest sensor shot.jpg

Edited by brinas30, 10 December 2012 - 01:38 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Unfortunately Everest does not show us the readings that we need so can you uninstall Everest, run Speccy http://www.piriform.com/speccy and again provide a screenshot for us, please see my canned text below Re: Ram test;

How to physically test your Ram;

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.
Remove each stick of Ram and blow out the memory slots.
Insert the first stick of Ram in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.
Power up the computer and see how it goes.
Make a note of the results.
Repeat the procedure until the first stick of Ram has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.
Remove the first stick of Ram and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.
Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is Ram in slot one so please refer to the MB user manual for guidance.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thank you again :)

Please see screen shots below for Speccy, as well as mb and ram shots.
In meanwhile will check on RAM sticks as stated and record results: will post when issue occurs.

Speccy.jpg

speccy-ram.jpg

speccy-mb.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the screenshots and you are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Speccy also shows that your +3.3V rail is too low and so may be the cause of the issue (see attached table below).
One final check that you can do is in the BIOS, if the reading is low there when the computer is under the least amount of load then it is almost certainly bad and should be replaced in case it goes bang, I do however always suggest that a suspect PSU is tested by a tech for final confirmation before it is replaced, many will do this for free.

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I'll continue to do the RAM testing and will take the PSU for test. My husband noticed we have our surge protector plugged into a socket that's loose so he's replacing that as well. Thank you for your time! YOU ROCK!
Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Please let us know how things work out or if you have any questions.

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
My hubby replaced our socket and there's been zero issues until yesterday when it suddenly froze and rebooted stating "Card Read Error" and will not attempt to boot into Windows at all. Is it possible this has been a hard drive issue the entire time or maybe part of it? I received this error in the middle of the rest of them when this first started but it would boot most of the time so I dismissed the HDD as an cause.
Thanks for additional help :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Couple of questions if I may;

"Card Read Error"

Is the above the exact message that appears on the screen.
Do you have any memory sticks or SD cards plugged into the computer.

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
no I don't... but I did put in a spare Seagate hard drive I had in my office just in case and loaded Windows on it. So far so good so I'm assuming it was the hdd the entire time.
I'm okay with closing this thread, I think problem is resolved and I GREATLY appreciate all your help!!

Posted Image

YOU GUYS ROCK!
Bri

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the follow up :thumbsup:

You know where we are if you need us <_<