Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hdd bricked

• Please log in to reply

Philip50

Philip50

• Pip
  • 9 posts
OK this is what I got- hitachi 250 gig hd- this hd is fairly new. I'd like to use it. It wont take a secure erase command. I don't care about security. I want this drive for extra storage. I'd like to disable the secure erase feature completely. No more security. I don't want to do this again. How can I disable this feature without exposing the disks? I can keep the feature if I have to,( I don't want to) Any ideas? I have tried dban and other methods. SMART says it's a good drive. Again, any ideas?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Have you tried the freeware program HDD Unlock Wizard, I have never tried it but they say it removes passwords that locks the hd on all major brand hdd.

here is the link

http://hdd-unlock-wi...e.informer.com/

Hope it helps

Philip50

Philip50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have tried unlock wizard. I have attempted to use software that should open up this hd. Some say error in writing, some do not even find the hd My laptop does recognize the hd in disk management. unallocated disk. I have connected this hd directly to the motherboard, I have switched to ide input. I have tried a number of things. Please ask questions so that I can see if there is something I have missed.

Philip50

Philip50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have used hdd unlock. Ihave tried a numder of things. anyone interested please ask questions

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
if you do not have the password to unlock it then it is a uselass HDD, unless another volunteer here as a better solution, I cannot help you more

Sorry and good luck