Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will start uo for one second or half and then cut out.

• Please log in to reply

Brayford96

Brayford96

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, i have just finished building my custom computer and i went to start it up. I simply plugged in everything to get it going. It came on but for one second. I checked whether all the cables were securely in and they were i tried again and the same thing happened. I then found out that i have the Power switch, reset switch and LED HDD in the wrong place, moved those around to the right place and still does the same. Could you please help!

thanks

computer specs:

Processor: Intel I5 -3450-LGA1155
Graphics card: Asus Nvidia GTX 550ti 1GB
Motherboard: Asus P8 H61-MX-USB3
Power pack: xenta Power supply ATX 700w
Ram: Ballstix 2x4GB DDR3 1600(PC3-12800)
Processor Fan: Freezer 7 Pro

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like you may have a standoff under the motherboard either not screwed down completely or even worse in the wrong place.
Make sure there are no standoffs where there is not a hole to screw through to it.

Brayford96

Brayford96

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I haven't used any standoffs when building this. Didn't think I really need to use them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does your motherboard mounting pate have raised bumps for the motherboard to sit on then?
Very few things will cause the issue you are having.
Bad mounting
Faulty Memory or incorrect settings in bios for the memory
Faulty CPU
Faulty PSU
Incorrect Connections from PSU to Motherboard

Try taking out one memory module and only booting with one module in slot one. If this does not work then we may have to do a bench test outside of the case.

Place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions