Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Restarts When I Shut Down + Other Problems (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
These are the pictures that I took when I was on my BIOS screen. Not sure if these are the right ones, I hope they help. And also, when I went on shut down for the computer, it still restarts so Im not sure why

Attached Thumbnails

• 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the screenshots :thumbsup:

The +3.3V rail is reading as being ok in the BIOS but as I said earlier this is not conclusive, run Speccy for us and again provide us with a screenshot of the results (expand the MB tab) http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Depending on the results we may need to consider swapping in a known good PSU for testing purposes and/or doing a bare-bones set-up outside of the case, this will allow you to do a close inspection of the MB and check for short circuits which can be caused by an incorrectly secured MB (loose screw), a bared wire or a stray screw.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Here you go

Attached Thumbnails

• 123.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the screenshot :thumbsup:

As you can see in the Speccy screenshot the +3.3V rail is again shown to be low so I can only refer to my earlier reply #32;

Depending on the results we may need to consider swapping in a known good PSU for testing purposes and/or doing a bare-bones set-up outside of the case, this will allow you to do a close inspection of the MB and check for short circuits which can be caused by an incorrectly secured MB (loose screw), a bared wire or a stray screw.

You could also have the present PSU tested by a local tech store and many will do this free, let us know what you decide on and if you decide on doing the barebones set-up I can provide a canned guide if you need it.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
what do you mean by barebones set up?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

what do you mean by barebones set up?

Below is a condensed version of "how to" do a barebones set-up;

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall each time before adding another component, second suggestion try a known good PSU.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I will try this, will ask my friend if he can help me tho lol

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Swapping in a known good PSU or having the present PSU tested first is advisable if you can.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
so at the moment, the PSU is the problem?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
HWMonitor and Speccy are both showing a bad +3.3V rail on the PSU and there is nothing else apparently obvious that is wrong but without swapping in a known good PSU to see if the issue is resolved I cannot say 100% for sure, having your present PSU tested by a tech will only show if it is good or bad and not whether it is causing the restarts, only a known good PSU can do this, there is one more software you can run to check your voltages if you would like the details, also please see my canned text below regarding testing a PSU.

NB: Please do not try the present PSU on another computer in case it goes bang.

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

Advertisements

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Does this mean I may require to buy a new PSU? at the moment it is the Corsair CX600.. And also, I dont really know where I would go to get my computer checked up like you said I would need to take it to a technician to test the current PSU.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry but I can only go off the results that the testing returned and they are suggesting a flaky PSU.

You could try removing the add on video card and use the MBs integrated video chip as this will reduce the demand on the PSU, this is not suggested as a permanent solution more as another means of testing the PSUs performance.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
ok thanks so much, ill update you on what will happen

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome and any further questions let us know :thumbsup:

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Is it worth taking the computer to a nearby PC World? I don't really know where else I could take it :(