Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Side by Side Configuration Incorrect

• Please log in to reply

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok. My internet is running rather slow tonight. I will have to download dropbox tomorrow (it is showing 2 hours for it to download) or later on. This is common for me this at this time of night.

I have cd's yes.
Should I go ahead with the mdsched.exe without creating the memtest disc?

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Yes. Please go ahead with the mdsched.exe since you won't need your connection for that.

Don't worry about the memtest at this time. You'll need a good connection to download the file to burn to disc.

The most important item at this time is the System.evtx. We really need that so we can take a look at the Event Log for errors indicative of hardware and/or memory + hard disk failure at the same time. The mdsched.exe might tell us something but not as much as the System.evtx will.

May I ask what type of connection you have?

Edited by DonnaB, 13 December 2012 - 09:41 PM.

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok. Finally got dropbox downloaded and installed. I have not used drop box until now, so I hope I provided the link correctly.

https://www.dropbox....wp8x/System.zip

Once done with this post, I am going to run the other test.

As for my connection- I live in the country. My ISP evidently oversells their bandwidth. Our internet routinely runs slow around the hours of 5 or 6pm to around 10 or 11 pm. Otherwise the connection runs fine during the day or early afternoon.

But I am wirelessly connected to our network. The ISP is our telephone company, Windstream. (hope that answers your question).

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I did the mdsched.exe;
When I log back on, either I am missing the bubble notification icon because of my external hard drive or it is not showing up.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Paula,

Our internet routinely runs slow around the hours of 5 or 6pm to around 10 or 11 pm.

Those hours are prime time hours and is to be expected, meaning everybody is getting off work or school and the first thing they do is check their email and/or Facebook. The more people who connect to that service, the slower it will be. Kinda like the water pressure in my house. If someone is taking a shower you can't run the clothes washer or the pressure will dwindle down to a trickle in the shower till the washer finally fills up and starts to agitate.

Finally got dropbox downloaded and installed

Perfect! Let's not worry about the bubble notification at this time. The System.evtx is very big and I'll have to do some research on the error codes. Please allow me some time to see what we have here. I'll reply as soon as I can.

Thank you for your patience! :happy:

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok. Your time is appreciated.

niemiro

niemiro

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello PHutch :)

Sorry about the delay. I have taken a good look over your logs, and would like a little more information before proceeding.

Firstly, please download and install this final Visual C++ Redistributable package: http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=13523

Then, please:

1: Get three different programs which all generate this error message lined up ready to run. (if fewer than 3 programs are broken, then just have ready what you can)

2: Open an elevated Command Prompt. http://www.bleepingc...command-prompt/

3: Carefully type sxstrace trace -logfile:sxstrace.etl into the Command Prompt window, and press enter once.

4: Start the first program. Let it generate the Side by Side Configuration error message, and OK out of the error message. Once the program has closed, start the next program. Once this one has closed, start the last one.

5: Go back to the Command Prompt and press enter again to end the logging.

6: Copy and paste or type sxstrace parse -logfile:sxstrace.etl -outfile:%userprofile%\Desktop\sxstrace.txt into the Command Prompt and press enter.

Upload the file sxstrace.txt from your Desktop here please.

Richard

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok. I am hoping that uploading this as a file works.
If I need to copy/paste, please let me know.
Thanks
Attached File  sxstrace.txt   26.09KB   225 downloads

Edited by PHutch, 16 December 2012 - 10:47 PM.

niemiro

niemiro

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Ok. I am hoping that uploading this as a file works.
If I need to copy/paste, please let me know.
Thanks
Attached File  sxstrace.txt   26.09KB   225 downloads

Thank you very much for uploading that. Perfectly done :)

The log shows that the problem is that you are missing update KB973544.

Please install all Windows Updates. You may have some more waiting for you after installing all those packages Donna gave to you.

If installing all of your Windows Updates does not resolve your problem, please manually download and install the update from here: http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=14431

and let me know if your problem is still not resolved.

Thank you,

Richard

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
It appears that my problem is fixed. I have opened a number of files, specifically the ones used to create the log, and I am not getting the error message.
Thanks!!!!! :)
Should I have a problem soon with this issue, I will let you know.

Again, your time is appreciated.
Paula

Advertisements

niemiro

niemiro

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

It appears that my problem is fixed. I have opened a number of files, specifically the ones used to create the log, and I am not getting the error message.
Thanks!!!!! :)
Should I have a problem soon with this issue, I will let you know.

Again, your time is appreciated.
Paula

That is excellent news! I am so glad! If you do notice any more Side by Side configurations problems, just return and I will take another look. However, I think that you are now all set on that front.

However, do you not still have problems with your hard disk/memory? I think you mentioned earlier some problems with them? Do you mind if Donna and I take a quick look, just to make sure everything is in good condition? I have seen something in your log files which concerns me slightly, and I would like to follow up with additional diagnostics now whilst you are here with us, rather than waiting until it comes back to cause you problems. It should only take a couple of posts to try to identify whether this is a false alarm or not.

Thank you,

Richard

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Yes! That is great news! :happy:

As posted by niemiro;
I have seen something in your log files which concerns me slightly, and I would like to follow up with additional diagnostics now whilst you are here with us, rather than waiting until it comes back to cause you problems. It should only take a couple of posts to try to identify whether this is a false alarm or not.

I agree! PHutch, if you would allow just a bit more time, please. We like to be thorough.

If you would, please do the following:

Go to Start then to Run
Type in diskmgmt.msc and expand to full screen.

Now we need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

To do a screenshot please click on the Print Screen (prt sc) key on your keyboard. (On Vista/Win7 you could also use the snipping tool and click File > Save As... and save to your desktop.)

If using prt sc key:

Go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
Make sure the window is open all the way so I can see everything on the top right window.

Attach it to your next post.

Thank you,

Donna :)

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks for the offer to help me with the memory. During one of the shutdowns, slow runs, something, I made an emergency backup. Upon rebooting, I didn't read the directions carefully or something. It was after that that I noticed I only had half of the memory that the computer is capable of.
I do notice under my c drive listings that I have a Paula.PaulaPC (when viewing the c drive listings on my husbands computer, there is no such listing).
It appears that I am running from the Paula.PaulaPC.
Thats the best I can describe why the memory is messed up.

Ok, so hopefully I pulled the right file and did this correctly.
Capture.JPG

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I will try to attach the file.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi PHutch,

I am so sorry for the delay. Please accept my apologies. :blush:

I had to take a day or 2 to think about this and I'm still not quite sure what is going on here so I need to ask a question.

When you did the emergency backup, did you back, where did you back it up to and did you name the backup Paula.PaulaPC? Also, could you please use your snipping tool to capture an image of your C: drive where you found Paula.PaulaPC?

Please attach the image to your next post along with the following:

I'd like to check something else if you don't mind:

Please download MiniToolBox and run it.

Checkmark following 2 boxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
  • Click Go and post the result.

Thank you. And I do apologize for the delay in responding.

Donna