Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good combination for gaming RIG?

• Please log in to reply

iColourstuff

iColourstuff

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey all, since my pc is really crappy (slow, 1.8Ghz, old graphics card,...) i wanted to buy a new (gaming) pc. But i only have like 1100$ and i noticed its almost impossible to find a good pc with this budget, so i was like 'hey, why dont i build my own pc." Now i wondered, would this combo work, or does some parts not fit?

Asus Graphics cards PCI-e GeForce GT610 1GB DVI/HDMI Silent LP

Cooler Master Midi Tower CM 690 II Advanced ATX No PSU (black)

Cooler Master Processor Cooler Hyper 612S AMD & Intel

Cooler Master feed GX-750W 750W

Corsair 2x4GB, DDR3, PC12800, CL9, XMS3, Rev. A

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz 6MB Box

Lite-On DVD-/+/RAM IHAS124-19 24x/24x/12x SATA

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 NL 1u 64bit OEM

MSI Z68A-G45 iZ68, SATA600 RAID, USB3.0

Western Digital Harddisk 3.5" 1TB, SATA600, 7200rpm, WD10EALX

Crucial SSD 2.5", 64GB, SATA600, m4

All this together is +- 1050$ so feel free to change stuff :)

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi iColourstuff.
Great idea to build your own, you do get more for your money and able to tailor to your needs.
You will not need an after market cooler, the stock ones are more than capable of doing the job.
The wattage of the PSU can be reduced and I would go with a Z77 Mobo.
The SSD capacity is a bit on the small side, 120GB is a better size.
Please answer the questions below, and we can configure a rig for your consideration.

In what country will you be purchasing your parts?
Would you object to a case with a windowed side panel?
What monitor do you have? brand/model please,
Is your current Optical drive SATA?

iColourstuff

iColourstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the info :)

- I'll probably buy it in Belgium, or maybe in the Netherlands, and if i cant find it there i'll buy it in Germany
- I really dont care about the case, as long as the components fit its ok with me
- my monitor is a Philips 241E
- And i have no clue if my optical disk is Sata :/ where can i find the info?

howtheflip

howtheflip

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I don't know much about the geforce series, but I'm fairly positive that the 610 is an entry level gaming card. The first number corresponds to the series, and the second is the card in that series. So, basically the higher the second number is, the more performance you should expect. I'd recommend a card such as the gigabyte gtx 560 ti if you plan on doing heavy gaming, although this card is about $200 so you'd have to adjust your budget a bit.

Maybe you could:
-Find a cheaper tower
-Downgrade your power supply about 100 watts
-Remove 4 gb of ram
-get a smaller hard drive.

While all of those features are nice, gaming will probably only need 4 gb of ram, you won't need 1tb unless you plan on downloading every game/music/video you see, and any tower that holds everything together will suffice. The benefits of having a powerful graphics card outweigh all of those minor setbacks. If you have no intention of overclocking, i'd highly recommend a 650w version. Even if you do overclock, 650w still gives you plenty of room, but I may still recommend the 750w for precautionary reasons. The only reason I'd see to go for the higher watts otherwise would be if you find a great deal for one. I hope you manage to see this thread before you make your purchases

Edited by howtheflip, 11 December 2012 - 09:14 AM.

iColourstuff

iColourstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
True, but i want a good nVidia card or an AMD with +- same quality and a good processor because i'm planning on buying a lot of new games like dishonoured. The problem is that i'm pretty new to pc-building and i think in Belgium we only have prebuild stores (its a 300$ fee when you want to change components)So if someone knows a good international store with not to high fees, feel free to tell me :)

howtheflip

howtheflip

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
The radeon 6950 is the AMD equivalent to the card I mentioned previously. If it is possible to get that into your prebuilt system, I would do that. Are you going through a local website or an actual store? Because if it was a website you could link me to it and I could look into it for you.

The processor you stated is also perfect due to it's high ability to overclock.

Edited by howtheflip, 11 December 2012 - 10:52 AM.

iColourstuff

iColourstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm taking a look everywhere :) I really want to play my games like skyrim etc. anyway, if you find a site that ships to Belgium with not to much fees, feel free to tell :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello iColourstuff

Which would be the least expensive country to ship from for you France, Germany or the UK.

A list of parts for you minus an OS such as Windows 7 64-bit http://pcpartpicker.com/fr/p/s0B6

iColourstuff

iColourstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
probably Germany or UK

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Germany http://pcpartpicker.com/de/p/s12P

UK http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/s0ZA

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi again iColourstuff.

That is a great build Phillpower2 has configured and the Gigabyte video card, I think, the best of the 660ti/s.
Review, > http://www.anandtech...660-ti-review/5
How does the build fit to your budget? as a SSD is not included, (not strictly essential) some adjustments could be made.
We can provide links to tutorials and answer any questions you have?

Edited by iammykyl, 11 December 2012 - 04:49 PM.

iColourstuff

iColourstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi guys,
i really appreciate all the help... but i have a very low budget (850€ = 1100$ = 685£) my budget was 1000 euro, but i also have to find a monitor because my parents probably buy this one (its 23 inch and my father is an architect so he could use this one)so can you guys change it a bit to fit in my budget? :/ or if there is a good (cheap) monitor my budget could go up a bit.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Germany http://pcpartpicker.com/de/p/s9tb
UK http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/s9tb

Swapping the video card can save you cash but the card will not be as good http://www.amazon.de...E/?tag=pcp05-21

NB: Note that they do not include operating systems for France or Germany for some reason :unsure:

iColourstuff

iColourstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Forgot my login details :blush: anyway i made a new combination... but is everything compatible?

ASUS HD7950-DC2T-3GD5-V3

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit NL
SystemBuilder, Incl. ServicePack 1, NL

AMD Phenom II X4 965
Boxed, OPGA, "Deneb", Black Edition, C3

Antec EA 750W Feed GREEN

Aerocool Templarius Ferrum Case
USB 3.0

Aerocool Shark Fan 12cm Black Edition
3-Pin

ASRock 970 Extreme3
RAID, Gb-LAN, Sound, ATX

Seagate ST1500DM003 1,5TB

Corsair 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit

Samsung SH-118AB/BEBE

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Phenom II X4 HDZ965FBK4DGM(BE) If this is your CPU then it is compatible with the MB.

Corsair 8 GB DDR3-1600 There are many variations of this spec of Ram so check that yours is on the Memory Support List to ensure compatibility (see upper left panel) http://www.asrock.co...D/970 Extreme3/

I note that the PSU is a "Green" product which means that they are not normally provided with a power cord in order to encourage purchasers to "recycle" an existing power cord, call me cynical but it is most likely a cost cutting measure.

I would stick with the GTX 660Ti as opposed to a HD7950-DC2T-3GD5-V3.