Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with a project

• Please log in to reply

Gordo2

Gordo2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I need help designing a program ....or lead me to it if something is already out there..... that will display the output from a slider ( like the throttle on a flight sim joystick). The display should be circular and go from 0 to 100%. My project is about 5 times this complicated but this would be a start. Thanks

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

I need help designing a program ....or lead me to it if something is already out there..... that will display the output from a slider ( like the throttle on a flight sim joystick). The display should be circular and go from 0 to 100%. My project is about 5 times this complicated but this would be a start. Thanks

Hey there Gordo and weclome to GeeksToGo,

Just to confirm, you require help "designing" a program? There are a number of design method and patterns one can use when designing a program and there is a number of things to consider before choosing the best design method for your project. There are many many methods out there and most of them are just a basis that you will have to adapt to suite your project, as every project is different and there's no set method for designing one. I would recommend searching up on the topic of design and decide what you think is the best method for your project and then if you require help, post back here so we can help you with your design. Just to give you an idea of some of the things you should consider when planning out your design:
- When is the project deadline and when does the program have to be completed.
- How many people will be working on the project
- Decide if you are building the program for reuse
- Your design should definitely consider change ("Change is inevitable")

Lol, when I stated typing out my post I had a tone of things on my mind, I know I have only listed four and there's other things that should be considered but I am sure when you are on your journey to finding the best method you will come across all considerations.

Another thing to be mentioned if what is above is not what you looking for, basic design can be made up of class diagrams (UML Diagrams), List of Variables and Types, Pseudo Code and basic user interface. (Please excuse me I can't remember it so well, but its along the lines of that and should be sufficient).

On the other hand if what I have typed out is not what you looking for at all just let us know so an appropriate response can be given. Also maybe there's a specific area of the design you are interested in and require help, also don't hesitate to post back.

Peace Out :cool:

Gordo2

Gordo2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reply. This is a 'one time thing' for my own use , I am the only one involved at this point, and it is a winter project. In my initial post I outlined a starting point but maybe it would be more clear if people had an idea of the finished product goal.
What I am trying to accomplish is to simulate the starting procedure on an aircraft turbine engine. This would involve 3 or 4 'inputs' that could come from a flight sim joystick and the 'outputs' would be displayed on 2 or 3 'gauges' on a pc screen. It would be like a miniature flight sim program, but it has to do some things that flight sim can't. I can get close to what I want using a spreadsheet or even basic programing but I am confident that there is a better way of doing it.Any help or steering in the right direction is appreciated.