Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequently my laptop supply reads "plugged in, but not charging

• Please log in to reply

andyyax

andyyax

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Laptop is an Alienware M14x. The charger is the standard one that came with it. PA5M10. Input is 100-240v and Output is 19.5V

This is an American laptop. But I noticed this problem in Amman, Jordan. I thought initially that it was probably related to an inconsistent power supply. But now I notice this problem persists in England. It is not every time it is plugged in, but at least 50% of the time.

It's lead me to a couple of conclusions about what is probably causing it:

1) Both England and Jordan run 230V. The US runs off 120V. I wonder that, even though the AC adapter says it is capable of running up to 240V it's not really designed to as it's american. I wonder if getting a good converter could solve the problem??

2) Perhaps the charger is a dud.

3) It's something else I haven't thought have.

Any suggestions or any help would be fantastic!

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I'm surprised this laptop is still alive as the charger is not a dedicated transformer from 240v down to 115v.

If you're in the UK or Jordan then obtain a good quality adaptor.