Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Developing a php-powered community, looking for help

• Please log in to reply

Number6

Number6

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi folks. I don't know whether my soliciting help here is within the norms of Geekstogo. I think my cause is humble enough though, I'm not out to harm. If you're a moderator/admin, I don't mind being moved or deleted. :thumbsup:

Me and a friend decided to decentralise away from Facebook and the other monolithic social networks for various reasons and start our own for people we could better collaborate with. I've been playing around with CMS software for quite a while and do data management for a few people, so I embarked on this journey. I have limited understanding of php/sql, and it's inhibiting my ability to better fine-tune the user experience, being that I am using software created by others and due to the character of open source communities these developments are isolated and very "liberal" and don't always gel together the way your average internet user (sorry to say it; an idiot) expects. And I just got news that several 100 people will be directed to the site in January so I'm feeling very leaned on.

If anyone's interested in lending their artistic skills to a non-profit project like this I'd be interested in speaking with you. Pro bono would be nice as funds are right out of our pockets, but we'd both be happy to give something back. It goes without saying that you'll be credited for your contributions to the site's infrastructure and you may set your own copyright and do as you wish. We're not fooling around here. I've hit certain brick walls in my understanding of php and find I can't satisfy the need for elegance, synchronization, and novelty this big job requires of me.

What I settled on using for the initial structure of the site is Wordpress CMS with plugins and the Buddypress plugin, and plugins that relate to that. As for appearance, I've managed to capture (for the most-part) how we want it to look and it's frontend functionality... but these things can always be improved.

If you stayed with me through those paragraphs, I thank you for your audience.

If you want to take a look at the site.

Edited by Number6, 22 December 2012 - 01:18 PM.

Advertisements