Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP completly freezes

• Please log in to reply

Tar

Tar

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
hi, recently my old but working xp pc started completely freezing randomly. I have not downloaded any new programs, i have not installed any new hardware. the majority of the times it freezes when watching youtube, but i have had it freeze right after i put in my password on the start screen.

when it freezes it freezes, the clock does not change time, the mouse pointer does not move and i could press every key on the keyboard and nothing would happen. the only way would be to press the on/off button on the case.

sometimes after i attempt to restart it using the button the power/busy light would not turn on and the system will not load, but i could hear the power unit fan & cooling fan work. I would have to repeat this several times and then it would finally run again.

any ideas on what could be bad? Honestly I have a feeling it may be the HD but i am not very computer literate...

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Test your memory and hard drive.

Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

You can do this on any computer that has a working CD Burner.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that. An overnight run is even better.

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics