Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezy-lag with games

• Please log in to reply

AteTheCat

AteTheCat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was given as a present a Toshiba Satellite L645 laptop with 6 GB of ram with windows 7.

And I keep getting this really weird, irritating lag with games.
On the first day I got and turned on the laptop it was fine with games, 100%, awesome. But after that whenever I play games I get this weird lag.
The games itself run amazingly on both min and max graphics, but every once in a while, maybe once every minute or two, it freezes for half or more seconds. On a particular game, Dragon Nest, it is really bad. It would freeze for a few seconds every time I use skills, and it would freeze itself up as long as there are a number of enemies nearby.

I tried many things including CCCleaner, updating to the latest drivers (so yes don't tell me to update my drivers I already have) and ... some other stuff I can't remember at this point.
I did managed to fix it earlier using a Core Parking fix here but when I turned on my laptop again some time later the problem has come back.

This is really irritating, especially since I know I'm getting Guild Wars 2 for Christmas tomorrow, and I want to be able to play it.

As someone who is pretty dumb as far as computing goes, please go a bit easy on me.

--------------------
Item Details

Windows: Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-bit) (Build 7600)
Internet Explorer: 9.0.8112.16421
Memory (RAM): 6006 MB
CPU Info: Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz
CPU Speed: 2526.1 MHz
Sound Card: Speakers (Conexant SmartAudio H |

Display Adapters: AMD Radeon HD 6500M/5600/5700 Series | AMD Radeon HD 6500M/5600/5700 Series | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver | RDP Reflector Display Driver
Monitors: 1x; Generic PnP Monitor |
Screen Resolution: 1366 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) | Qualcomm Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20) | Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
CD / DVD Drives: 1x (D: | ) D: TSSTcorpCDDVDW TS-L633C
Ports: COM6 | COM7 | COM10 | COM11 | COM12 | COM13 | COM14 | COM15 | COM16 | COM17 | COM18 | COM19 | COM20 | COM21 | COM22 LPT Port NOT Present.
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 453.4GB | Q: 0.0MB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 370.8GB | Q: 0.0MB
USB Controllers: 2 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
Manufacturer *: INSYDE
Product Make *: Satellite L645
AC Power Status: OffLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 12/31/10 | TOSQCI - 1
Time Zone: New Zealand Standard Time
Battery Status: High
Motherboard *: Intel Corp. Base Board Product Name
IP Address: 192.168.1.4 |
MAC Address: 4C-ED-DE-77-A1-0E
Host Name: USER-PC
SM BIOS: 1.90

Edited by AteTheCat, 24 December 2012 - 01:36 PM.

Advertisements

Hyacinthknave

Hyacinthknave

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
How much vram does your gpu have?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
while your system technically meets the requirements, the mobile video solution isn't as good as the discrete part (desktop equivalent).

1: reduce your video settings in game to lowest possible and see if that helps.
2: used some canned air and make sure the laptop fan is clear of dust. Just give a quick squirt or two, don't overdo it.