Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"has encountered a problem and needs to close" for everything

• Please log in to reply

stifler

stifler

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys,
ive not used my desktop for about 4 months so cant remember the last state it was in.
But I turned it on today and as soon as it comes on. I get this error message.. see screenshot
Posted Image
and from that everything just spirals out of control. its like it starts a chain reaction

Now I cant even open things like winrar.. or add or remove programs.. Im surprised ive managed to open firefox to post this.

I mean EVERYTHING i try to do comes up with the error message as above.

I dont know what to do.. please advise :(
also my computer is now going abnormally slow as a result. i definitely think its got a flu or some sort of other virus!
-----------------------------
Here is my OTL log:
OTL logfile created on: 12/25/2012 1:34:27 PM - Run 1
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 Folder = C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop
Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 2 (Version = 5.1.2600) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 6.0.2900.2180)
Locale: 00000409 | Country: United States | Language: ENU | Date Format: M/d/yyyy

1023.48 Mb Total Physical Memory | 177.75 Mb Available Physical Memory | 17.37% Memory free
2.41 Gb Paging File | 1.73 Gb Available in Paging File | 71.88% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): c:\pagefile.sys 1536 3072 [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\WINDOWS | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 186.30 Gb Total Space | 0.15 Gb Free Space | 0.08% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

Edited by phillpower2, 25 December 2012 - 08:58 AM.
OTL log removed as they are not used in these forums.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hello stifler

There are two important items of note, one will be causing this issue and the other is a security risk to your computer.

You are in a catch 22 situation at present as you cannot resolve the security issue until you take care of the stability issue, you will note that you presently only have 0.08% Space Free on your HDD, you need to free up some storage space on your HDD and I would recommend a minimum of 15% be available of the overall storage capacity (example is 15GB of a 100GB HDD - 30GB of a 200GB HDD) once this is done it will allow you to take care of the security issue by you installing XP SP3.

I suggest that you go into Add/Remove programs and delete any old programs such as games and music to free up some space quickly yourself and then post back here and we will help you improve things further.

NB: An explanation of what is happening is that the HDD has nowhere to store any information that is being directed towards it at present and one danger of this is that it will corrupt your OS (The MBR) and another is that it will eventually lead to mechanical failure of the HDD.

stifler

stifler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I dont think low hard disk space is the main cause of this.

Ive had low hard disk for months and months.. and its always worked fine.

The other thing is it wont let me do as you have said and uninstall files.. when i try i get the same message saying "setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Sorry for the delay - I was about to reply when I got called to Xmas dinner ;)

I can only advise you and any final decision to be made is quite correctly yours to make, have a read of the information at the attached link which supports what I have said http://blog.tune-up....ormance-killer/ Please disregard all products and services offered at the link.

See if you are able to empty the Recycle Bin manually as a starting point.