Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help choosing Gaming PC

• Please log in to reply

cfitz

cfitz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there! (Sorry if in wrong category) I am ordering a new PC for myself hopefully tomorrow but am having trouble making the final decision. I have been googling around reading up about parts to help me make a decision but still unsure.

My main purpose for this PC is gaming. I want to play games like Skyrim/ Just Cause 2/ Total War /BF3 etc.. on high graphics/resolution.
I am in 1st year studying computing so would do college work on it too. (programming and web design etc)
The monitor I would use for the first few months is a TV with 1360x768 resolution, but I would like to buy dual 1920x1080 in the near future! My budget for the box itself is ~€1,000.
(I have a Dell coupon to -€120 off.)

http://www.dell.com/...Collapsed=false

The differences between the 3 are Memory, Hard Drive, Video Card and Optical Drive.

Memory: I would have thought that 8GB is plenty for gaming so 12GB would be overkill.

Hard Drive: 1TB would be enough as I wouldnt be hoarding files. However an SSD would be nice for the OS for fast boot/load times on games that are on it, although 32GB is not alot. So would I be better of buying a larger SSD along with a different PC and put it in myself?

Video Card: I was comparing on http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ Obviously the GTX660 stands above the others, but is it an overkill? Or are the others ok for what I need? I would like a future proof machine. I would prefer to spend the money on a good card now and not have to replace it years down the road.

Optical Drive: Standard is fine, although I do have Bluray movies. I dont NEED a Bluray player but I would use it if I had it. (The addition of the Bluray Drive wouldnt be a major factor)

Thanks for reading and any advice would be much appreciated.
:)

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi cfitz, Welcome Back.
The problem with buying a pre built system from Dell/HP and the like, is you do not get exactly a fit for your needs, often not very upgradable and nearly always comes with a very weak PSU.
We are of course always willing to give advice and help but wonder why the change of direction? as I remember following your previous topic where you would consider building yourself or getting a local shop to do it for you.
> http://www.geekstogo...22#entry2214922

Edited by iammykyl, 27 December 2012 - 06:41 PM.

cfitz

cfitz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks!

Thats why I was considering the 3rd one, which had the better GPU so I wouldnt need to upgrade it, but wasnt sure if it was an overkill for my needs.

I lost interest in building a PC primarily due to laziness :( I know it would save me money but I didnt want to run into problems and thought it would be safer with the likes of Dell.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry, but I would not give the thumbs up to any of them. You don't need an i7. There is no mention of brands. what Mobo, what HDD, what PSU. The wording in the warrany is a bit ambiguous, I doubt they would come to your house the next day to fix hardware.

Is there not a large eSeller that allows you to configure your own build, then they build and test it?