Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Help...PC won't start up

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My PC came across the Ukash virus that is going around and has now completely shut down. I am unable to restart in normal mode or safe mode. I was able to start up with my Back-up CD but when I run a system restore I get this error message "system Restore failed to extract the file (C:\) from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x8000ffff)". All I get now is a black screen with my cursor and that is it. Is there anything I can do without doing a complete Recovery of my system. I ran a scandsk with command prompts but that showed no issues. I ran chkdsk C: /f and chkdsk C: /r. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,062 posts
See if our malware folks can help. Go to the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum, read the first post and follow instructions.

Come back here once you get a clean bill of health if you still have problems.