Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My wife wants the TV mounted over the fireplace

• Please log in to reply

bsgranpa

bsgranpa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OK, we just got a new place and the best (really the only) place to put the flat screen is over the fireplace. The problem is that there is no way to get HDMI cable to the set without unsightly wires running across or under the carpet and snaking up the wall and over the mantle. So, is there an equipment setup where I can have the BluRay and DirecTV about ten feet away and wirelessly stream the HD content to the TV? I don't mind spending a little $'s to make sure that it's a reliable operation. I don't have a wifi ready TV so whatever I end up with would have to have both ends of the "sending" & "receiving" parts. As my name implies, I'm kind of a geezer and I don't have a lot of tech savvyness. That means that you should keep the description simple and be very specific about what I should buy. Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
How does something like this sound Grandpa?

HDMI Transmitter

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Since he has a Blu-ray and DirectTV he'll want a wireless HDMI transmitter with more than one HDMI input, like this: http://www.amazon.co...sxp_grid_pt_0_0 An added benefit is that it supports up to two TVs. You could put the transmitter in one room, and enjoy the same HDMI content wirelessly in another room on a second HDTV.

The downside is that an AC adapter is still required, as is of course A/C power to the TV. Unless, A/C already exists or can be wired above the fireplace, this means you'll still have a minimum of two cords running from the outlet to the TV. While they've made advances in the lab, there's no commercial wireless power available yet. Maybe the answer is some nice surface conduit painted to match?

johnb44

johnb44

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
$109 at JR Computers and you would also need a receiver $99 as your TV is not wireless checked this out because I am tired of paying for a separate TIVO and cable card a little concerned about the compression as my cable is already compressed don't know if this would cause a problem or not.Using a antenna there is a slight improvement. Any feedback would be appreciated.

johnb44

johnb44

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I like that one better it is not compressed and covers 2 TVs wonder if it would work mounted back of the TV doubt it. Would still need power however it would work for my use

Edited by johnb44, 31 December 2012 - 12:50 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I was surprised to learn the range of wireless HDMI has increased so much. As I recall, the early ones only went a few feet.