Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

access denied

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi all and happy new year..

i was just looking through my lappy, trying to free up some space and i noticed ive been denied access to documents and things..ive probably pressed the wrong button somewhere so if anyone has a spare 5 minutes to let me know what ive done and how to fix it then it would be most appreciated..

i am running vista 32 bit and im the administrator ..any help will be splendid :thumbsup:

if ive posted this in the wrong place i apologise.please feel free to move it

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Edited by vistasucks, 02 January 2013 - 01:55 PM.

Advertisements

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
The My Pictures, My Videos, and My Music entries that you show in your screen shot are links to the old folder locations from pre-Vista days. These are included for backwards compatibility with programs, but are locked off so that that only the SYSTEM account can follow them. In Vista and above, there will be separate Pictures, Videos, and Music folders at the root of your user folder (typically found at C:\Users\<YourUserName>). This also follows suit for the Documents folder in that you will see that listed (which is the new folder designation for your documents) and also a link with the name of My Documents which should also be inaccessible.

So in short:

WinXP and older has the My Pictures, My Videos, and My Music folders contained in the My Documents folder which is located in the user's home directory (Typically C:\Documents and Settings\<YourUserName>).

Windows Vista and newer has the Pictures, Videos, Music, and Documents folders all contained in the users' home directory (Typically C:\Users\<YourUserName>).

Let me know if you need more info or further assistance. :thumbsup:

Edited by SongCloud, 02 January 2013 - 05:44 PM.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi mate and thanks for that :thumbsup: ..if i cant access them, does that mean i can ( if im able ) get rid of them as im trying to make space on c:/ as im down to about 8 gb free space..
ive cleaned out temp files but that didnt free up much..
im going to try deleting some restore points next
any help is much appreciated
nige

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
You won't be able to delete them as you will not have SYSTEM level permissions, not to mentions that it could mess a lot of things up if you did. ;)

Because they are just folder level junction points, they are not taking up any space and the "folders" don't actually contain any data, they simply point to the "new" folder locations as I mentioned in my previous post.

My suggestion would be to run CCleaner Slim to get rid of a lot of the junk taking up space. Once you have cleaned up using that, you can use a program like TreeSizeFree or WinDirStat to find out what folders/files are taking up all of the space.

If you like, once you have an idea of what folders are taking up the space, post the results here so that we can help you determine what might be safe to delete or compress.

Hope this helps! :) Let me know if you have any other questions, instructions for running any of those programs, or need more help.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
fabulous, many thanks for that..i'll get on to it and let you know :thumbsup:

regards
nige

Edited by vistasucks, 04 January 2013 - 12:11 PM.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
okee dokee....did the treesizefree thing and it came up with the attached...hope this is what you needed...i did try the other one and it came up with a very pretty pattern of rectangles, i didnt understand any of it though..let me know if you need anything else

thanks again
nige

Attached Thumbnails

• treesize.jpg

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi songcloud..
just to let you know ive decided to upgrade the hard drive so my space problem shouldnt re-occur

My link

huge thanks for your help mate :thumbsup:

Edited by vistasucks, 08 January 2013 - 12:38 PM.

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
No problem. I also think that going that route may be a better solution as it will hopefully prevent you from having to deal with space issues in the future. :)