Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Switching from windows XP to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Sking0

Sking0

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Hi. I am going to switch from XP to W7. I just downloaded and ran Windows upgrade advisor and i have one compatibility issue.
NVIDIA nForce system management controller. The advisor says 'Status'- Unknown. Details - We don't have compatibility information about this device.
I am running AMD Phenom 9950 quad core 2.66 GHz.
AMD Radeon R6870 1Gig vid card.
4 Gig RAM.
In device manager the only thing that has Nvidia to it's name is 'Network adaptors'/'NVIDIA nForce Networking controller'.
Would this make the switch a problem? Thanks.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I can't see that being a problem Sking0 and you have some good specs there.

Which version of 7 are you going for?

Edited by Wolfeymole, 05 January 2013 - 07:37 AM.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Hi. I was going to go for home premium but i am open to good advice. I was hoping to be able to run the 64 bit os.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well there's nothing wrong with Premium as a 64bit version but you'd have to do a clean install as moving from XP can't be done as an "upgrade" so to speak.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Yes. I have an external hard drive and i have been looking at the process. Looks like it won't be quick 'n' easy (for me anyway) :confused:
Will order it now and thanks very much for you advice and help. By the way, is that NVIDIA nForce system management controller anything (or everything ) to do with the networking side of things, i.e internet connecting?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Errr I'm unsure what the significance of the external HDD has to do with it Sking0, can you elaborate please mate.

Regarding the NVidia aspect once 7 is installed I'll more or less guarantee that it will install all applicable drivers for hardware that you have.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I have tons of stuff to save so i will be needing the External hard drive!?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I see and that's no bad thing as I have 3 external hard drives myself. :thumbsup:

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Thanks again for your help. :thumbsup:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're more than welcome Sking0, please let us know how you go on if you will. :thumbsup: