Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card..

• Please log in to reply

luckiecharmz

luckiecharmz

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Heya, I'm hoping someone could help me out with figuring out a decent graphics card to run on my PC. Something that won't break the bank, but will run WoW/Skyrim/Eve smoothly. I am using a HP Pavilion Special Edition a6745f - right now it's running a ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics card. Any advice would be appreciated. Also I believe the PSU is 300w, so if I need to go higher with that for the upgrade let me know. I also know that my card is chip set, and I will need to disable it. I haven't done a graphics card upgrade in a long time, if someone could refresh my memory on that as well I would love it :) Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

BL00PER

BL00PER

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
This is my honest opinion but your on-board card might be better than ones that could be bought. Since looking at your system specs it seems you are running DDR2 memory while ones that are slightly better in performance are running DDR5 (one I that run games you mentioned on fair level here). However, I would wait for someone else to come on the post they might find you a graphics card better than the one you got.

luckiecharmz

luckiecharmz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the response. Yeah, hopefully someone can come up with something. My games are laggy, I'm doing a RAM upgrade as well, but I feel like it's more my graphics than RAM at this point.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: luckiecharmz

Before looking at your video card options can I ask what operating system you are using, is it Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, I ask as you have mentioned upgrading your Ram and some OS will not recognize any more than the 4GB that your PC was shipped with.

To help with the video card - PSU upgrade can you tell us your maximum combined budget for the two so that we can make the appropriate suggestions.

Some additional guidance;

Before purchasing a new PSU it is advisable that you measure the dimensions of the present PSU and ensure that the new PSU has the correct power connections for the MB, HDDs, optical drives, FDDs or add on cards such as a video card if one is fitted.

Quality brands include Antec, Corsair, OCZ and Seasonic.

luckiecharmz

luckiecharmz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes - Windows Vista Home 64-bit. I can't upgrade the RAM? o.O I've never heard of that! I will be angry if I can't! Also, I'm willing to spend around $200 total.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Your OS will recognize up to 16GB of Ram so no problems there.

Video card http://www.microcent..._x16_Video_Card

PSU http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

luckiecharmz

luckiecharmz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your response! So that card and psu should work well for me? I appreciate all your help! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Yes PSU and card are all good but just a reminder;

Some additional guidance;

Before purchasing a new PSU it is advisable that you measure the dimensions of the present PSU and ensure that the new PSU has the correct power connections for the MB, HDDs, optical drives, FDDs or add on cards such as a video card if one is fitted.