Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issue #1: Harddrive failed backup all files

• Please log in to reply

mg2PRIME

mg2PRIME

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is a windows xp HP computer, the problem is I have a boot option and I've been booting from cd all this time. I accidently turned the pc off now the computer won't read the cd for some reason. Yes the cd works, I tried it in my new laptop I got this Christmas. All I want to get a few files off the old computer and I'll let it rest in peace. I've been using Hiren's BOOTCD 11 to boot my pc, and so I just made a bootable usb but there is a big issue. It reads Grub4dos instead of the Hiren disk, it says

Boot from find menu.lst, /boot/grub/menu.lst. /grub/menu.lst

and when it does that this shows up

Grubs4dos 0.4.5b 2011-04-23, Mem 639K/1014/0M, End: 351657 [Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word TAB list possible command completions of a device/filename ESC at anytime exits. ]

I type in boot then it says

Error 8: Kernel must be loaded before booting

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You seem to have some version of linux on the old box however that is of no matter.

If you simply want to get some files off the hdd then remove it and attach it via usb to the new machine with one of these...

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B001A5SK56