Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Fax error says line not connected

• Please log in to reply

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
I have an hp 8600 Pro printer. In my old house I had cable and it worked fine.

In my new house I have DSL and I have a filter on the line but it fails the connection test.

When I try to plug the line into the printer I get a warble/ringing and the touch screen says it is trying to answer but there is no incoming call.

What can I do to correct this problem?

Is there a really good DSL inline filter I can purchase and try or is my issue something else?

Regards,

CompCav

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Put a dumb wired phone on the circuit and see if that works. It should still work even without the filter (tho it might tear up your DSL data connection and it could be a bit noisy). IF that works then put the filter in line and see if the phone works through the filter. The Fax should work if the phone does and should be connected to the same output on the filter. The filter is supposed to pass DC and low frequency up to about 3500 Hz on the phone side. I doubt that there is much difference between DSL filters so if the phone won't work through the filter then try another filter as yours is probably defective.

When you go off hook on a phone you allow DC current to flow and the presence of the current is the indication that the connection exists. (Usually you will find 48 VDC across a telephone jack (used to be the red and green wires but now they use the White/Blue striped pair of wires) which is what feeds the flow) If the filter blocks the current flow then it's not going to work. Ringing is essentially a 30 Hz 100 volt AC signal 2 seconds in length followed by a 4 second pause then repeat.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Thanks for the note, I will try this and let you know the outcome. It will be later this evening.

Regards,

CompCav

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It sounds like you are on an ADSL Dial Up connection rather than an ADSL Broadband connection Cav, would this be correct?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
It is broadband to a DSL modem. The connection is not dialup.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If this is a stand alone modem then why don't you hook a router to it and hook the printer to the router Cav?

In fact why has your ISP not provided a modem/router combo?

Edited by Wolfeymole, 07 January 2013 - 09:22 AM.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
The wireless service is fine. I need the ancient fax built in on a phone line to work.

Thanks,

CompCav

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
On ADSL, and even Cable for that matter there should be two carriers, one for the phone and one for the broadband.

If your line strength on the phone carrier does not cut the mustard then I suggest you get on to your ISP to check the line from their end.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
I will measure voltage and check the carrier later today when I get home.

Thanks,

Compcav

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The voltage may be perfectly adequate Cav but it may come down to the physical line integrity that you have to consider, things such as splits, water ingress etc that may cause the line issues.

However please get back to us on this. :thumbsup:

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
I will let you know the outcome.

thanks,

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
The phone line checked out OK and even connecting a dumb phone to the EXT jack received a good tone.

I then took the printer to another house and plugged it in on a line that was known good for an 8600 PRO that the owner had and it failed again. So back it goes to Fry's.

Thanks,

CompCav