Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vibrations on toshiba nb505-n508bl w/ Seagate Momentus HDD

• Please log in to reply

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Hi all,

I recently installed a new Seagate Momentus (ST9750420AS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive) on a Toshiba nb505-n508bl. . . . Even with the flimsy aluminum factory HDD "caddy," it still vibrates/buzzes a bit too much for my comfort. The rubber grip fittings on the bottom of the netbook are in good condition, so that's not the issue. And while vibrations are clearly reduced when on a stable, perfectly flat surface, they still occur on occasion. Also, the netbook seems vibration sensitive/susceptible to even the slightest pressure on the keyboard surface above/nearer the HDD (the mouse buttons just to the left of the HDD or the arrow keys that are directly above the HDD).

Of course I have also run several HDD scans with the appropriate utilities (both with Windows and Seagate disk scanning utilities), and the drive always scans perfectly clean and error free.

So my first questions:

1. Do any hardcore Toshiba netbook users know of a more solid/stable non-toshiba HDD caddy to better secure a higher speed HDD than the flimsy aluminum caddy?

2. Does anyone know if the Toshiba nb505-n508bl simply is not made to handle 7200 RPM (b/c it originally came with only a 5400 RPM HDD)?

Thank you!
Toshiba nb505-n508bl
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Atom CPU N455 @ 1.66 GHz
RAM 2.00 GB
32 bit OS

Edited by moscatomg1, 08 January 2013 - 08:56 PM.

Advertisements

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well I know "bumping" a topic is frowned upon here, but this has gone weeks without a response--and I even put it in the Waiting Room. . . .

If anyone out there has Toshiba netbook experience/knowledge with this issue, I would love to hear about it.
Thank you!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry your topic has gone so long without a response. Reading your description I suspect that something in the hd spot is loose and not holding the drive securely. How old is the system and is there any warranty still active on it.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
If anyone else happens to ever read this. . . .

This issue still persists. And thank you, Rshaffer61, for being the only one to respond thus far, but there is absolutely no warranty remaining on the sys.--as I was informed as much by the original HDD label when it was removed & replaced. . . .

I really hope that someone who has had a similar experience or simply helpful general knowledge may see this and respond w/ some advice. Right now I just deal w/ it, apply a little pressure on the keyboard case above the HDD when it starts to slightly vibrate (which usually temporarily quiets it), and accept that all of this is a bad sign and precursor of a HDD fail some point in the foreseeable future.

. . . . For a very fleeting moment or so it occurred to me to just stick a small wad of moistened chewing gum inside between the cheap HHD "caddy" and the plastic exterior netbook casing. I bet that would be a perfect vibration dampener--before the gum began to melt and ruin the nearby circuitry!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

For a very fleeting moment or so it occurred to me to just stick a small wad of moistened chewing gum inside between the cheap HHD "caddy" and the plastic exterior netbook casing. I bet that would be a perfect vibration dampener--before the gum began to melt and ruin the nearby circuitry!

This again tells me that a screw or two may be missing or the caddy itself the hd fits into is not inserted correctly. Being a notebook I suspect the drive is not seated correctly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
akrtsyra7 if your system is the same as the original poster then you should be able to follow the instructions also. If not then Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.