Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus or malware removal help needed. Slow computer 1/9/13 [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
The computer did fine for 2 days. Today I had 3 programs open and tried to open another (pdf) file and the computer locked including the mouse pointer. Took a long time to get it restarted. The only thing I could do was to swing the mouse back and forth until I could find it by watching for a desktop icon to highlight. I was than able to work my way to "start" to restart the computer without seeing the pointer. After a restart I works fine again. My 2 gb of new ram should be delivered tomorrow (Tue).

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you install the new RAM

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I have 1.93 gb ram but I'm getting the same reaction from the computer. It's still very slow to get going. After 20-30 minutes running it does lots better. I was trying to open google earth the last time when it did a blue screen memory dump and it still won't open g.e. It goes again to the blue screen "...beginning dump of physical memory..."

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Lets try a clean boot and then see if it is a driver causing these problems..

We will start with only windows services running, if it works better with that we will then re-enable the other services in batches until we can reproduce the problem

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility

1.Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
2.The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

Step 2: Configure selective startup options

1.In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
2.Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
3.Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
4.Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
5.Click the Services tab.
6.Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
7.Click Disable All, and then click OK.
8.When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Step 3: Log on to Windows

1.If you are prompted, log on to Windows.
2.When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.

Notes?

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.
?The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.
?Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

Reboot the computer is the an improvement ?

If yes then do the following

Start MSConfig and re-enable half of the disabled services and reboot

Does it still behave ?

If so re-enable half of the remaining services

The idea is to isolate the service that is causing the problems

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
...Reboot the computer is the an improvement?...

..."If yes then do the following"...

No improvement, it still takes 3 mins. to bootup and gives the same "physical memory dump" message when trying to open g.e.

...Start MSConfig and re-enable half---...

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK reverse the procedure and re-enable all drivers

Could you zip and attach the last three minidumps from C:\windows\minidump please

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
1 of 3

Attached Files

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
2 of 3

Attached Files

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
3of 3

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Again they are reporting hardware problems, this may be the time to ask a computer shop to test your motherboard. We have determined none of the no-ms drivers are at fault. One additional thing to try would be a repair install of windows, for this you will need the CD

Advertisements

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Ok, I have everything backed up so I will do a repair install later and see how it goes from there. I appreciate very much all of the time you have put into this analysis. At least I feel confident that all the things you have checked out are very likely not the problem. I will be sending you a donation shortly. Thanks again!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Admin has posted a tutorial on a repair install here

Thank you for the donation :thumbsup:

I will leave this open until you let me know

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I have attempted the repair install per the tutorial. It went thru the whole process for about 45 minutes. I thought it was going to bootup into windows but when the black screen with the Windows xp flag came up the computer locked up. Is there a safe way to shutdown and should I attempt the repair again?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes shutdown using the power button and let me know the result

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
It started up and when it came to what would be the welcome screen it paused and said "applying computer settings". It now boots up in just over 1 min instead of 3 min.

It goes on line but when I start to type in the google search bar to try to update Internet Explorer it encounters a problem and needs to close. Sometimes it might let me get to the site but kicks out before I can d'load anything.

Also I constantly get the popup "install the status disc and click ok".

The computer is plenty fast starting up and navigating installed programs. Seems like the biggest problem now is the internet. btw, it went thru the memory dump again when I tried to open google earth.

Edited by JohnGo, 26 January 2013 - 10:03 AM.