Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are there any free video trimmers that work with all formats?

• Please log in to reply

axeman61

axeman61

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
When I want to put a video on my MP3 player, I have to convert it first because my MP3 player, a Creative Zen Vision: M, is finicky. It has strict rules. My preferred conversion format is to AVI. I may also want to cut parts out of the video, or cut the video into smaller chunks. I typically do this with a combo of Format Factory (converting to AVI) and VirtualDub (cutting the AVI). VirtualDub is great, and I wish there was a version of it that could handle virtually all formats. However, I've never had much reason to look until now.

I've made the Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 heir to the throne when the Zen dies out or becomes unplayable. If the manual is any indication, this thing can play a crap-ton of formats, and has apps for things it won't play either way.* I don't have to spend time converting so much stuff anymore (hopefully). However, there's the issue of cutting/trimming. No programs I've run across can do that for formats other than AVI. I know about AVIdemux, but I found it too complex and too productive of sloppy results**. I was wondering if there was another free program out there that lets me cut and trim any video I want.

*I already have a phone, and know about the Samsung Galaxy Phone. Not getting it. Just want a portable media player. Also, I'd buy the SGP 5.0, but that's too big for most of my pockets.

**I was able to trim unwanted video from an MP4, but still needed to convert to AVI for the zen. Format Factory made a hot mess out of the cut down MP4 from AVIDemux.

Edited by axeman61, 09 January 2013 - 11:51 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you might poke around videohelp.com to see what they suggest. A brief list of stuff they have: http://www.videohelp...o-editors-basic