Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Forum website will not keep me logged in...IP or DNS issue?

• Please log in to reply

VLC81

VLC81

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am a member to a forum. Been accessing the forum for 2 years without issues. This past summer the admin to the forum forgot to pay the renewal for the website, so the site went offline for a day. Ever since the renewal of the forum I have had the following issue....
I will access the website with a login...I will be browsing the forum, replying, viewing, etc. and all of a sudden I will be redirected to the sign in page of the forum. I will sign in and the "login successful" page will appear, but I will be redirected back to the sign in page again. This will occur any number of times. And if I wait a period of time, I will sometimes be able to access the page...either from a cached page or from logging in. Sometimes I restart the computer, restart the modem, restart the router. I have deleted cookies, temp. internet files, and taken down my windows firewall. And all of these have resulted in success or not succeeding..no exact pattern.
I can ping the .com address and get results. If I add the .com/forum attribute, there is no result
I have tried several different machines with windows OS and a Mac...same result here in my home with my modem. I can access the forum site with my phone, most times no problem. I can go to another internet provider and same machine, and same result or will be able to connect??
I researched this through my IPS and they found no issues with my connection. I researched with the forum admin, and they ended up updating the forum, due to poor performance overall on the website and many outdated files. I thought that when they updated the website, I was fixed...as I was able to stay connected for 7 days...then the issue repeated itself.
I have an ASUS laptop, running windows 7, IE 9.0.8112....
I have tried Firefox, as well.
Please let me know if this is an IP or DNS issue..from my side or the forum's side...I have gotten no where with the admin on the forum...they do not know what the issue is...and I am not experienced in the internet either.
Thank you for any help...I hope I provided enough information.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
For purely investigative reasons the website URL would be nice so we could have a look VLC81.

VLC81

VLC81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So sorry, did not know if I had provided enough info...guess that would be a great piece to the puzzle ...

the website is

www.himstedtheaven.com/forum

thank you :)

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Without actually joining the site to see it in action on a daily basis my immediate thought would be that they are using a less than adequate server and this is why it keeps dropping out as it were.

VLC81

VLC81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That is what I am thinking...but just have no idea. I believe I am the only member with this issue..there were more early before they updated the forum, but I have not heard of anyone else since that time...the update occurred in early December 2012. So I would have thought if it were just the syncing up of their server with the world of Internet providers, by now, all should be synced up.
That is why I began to look further and research the IP and DNS issue.
Thank you for looking into it and leaving a reply.
Any information is helpful.
I am still trying to contact the forum administrators.
Thanks